Chapter Four {Distraction}

The night had been long for Anna and Levi. After their long conversation, neither of them felt sleep calling for them. They spent the rest of the night on the roof with the only talk being about the future of their training sessions. Anna couldn't help but smile that after the prior conversation, he immediately started talking about her future with them. Once they heard life in The Underground awaken and the sun reached through the cracks above, the two made their way back inside.

As soon as they walked in, Anna was wrapped in someone's arms. "Where the fuck were you, Anna! I thought something bad might have happened to you!" Anna wrapped her arms back around Isabel who was crying into her chest.

"I'm sorry, I needed time to think something over. I'm sorry for worrying you guys." Anna's voice was calm as she nuzzled her head into the crook of her friend's neck.

"Don't do that again. I don't want to lose my sister." Isabel's sobs had turned to sniffles. Anna lifted her to look into her eyes which were red and puffy.

"You won't lose me; I don't plan on leaving you guys any time soon," she said with a reassuring smile, "I promise to always be here if you need me."

Isabel took a step back, looking between both Anna and Levi, "Why did you the two of you walk in together though? You didn't do anything to Anna, did you Big Bro?" Anna laughed at Isabel's question, whilst Levi looked visibly annoyed, his brows creasing.

"We just talked Isabel. I promise, he didn't do anything to hurt me. He actually helped me sort through my thoughts," Anna explained, sending an appreciative smile Levi's way. He looked away, not interested in the situation.

"Well, what have I missed in here?" Everyone turned to look at Furlan who was leaning against a doorframe.

"Nothing important," Levi huffed, taking a seat on one of the benches in the room.

"It's nice to see you came back, Anna." Furlan smiled at his new friend, relieved to see her safe.

"Yeah, I'm sorry for ditching you yesterday. I didn't mean to make you worry," Anna laughed softly, rubbing the back of her neck.

"Well, you did. Isabel and I were worried sick that something had happened to you when you didn't come back. You're one of us now and we can't have you just disappearing without a word; do you understand?" Anna was somewhat taken aback by Furlan's stern tone but was relieved by his underlying message.

"I understand. It won't happen again."

"Is everyone done with the sentimental shit?" All attention turned back to Levi. "We need to talk about today's supply run. I've decided that it's time for Anna to earn her keep. I think it'll be useful for her to join us. I've got an idea in mind which doesn't require her to use the gear." Everyone looked at him surprised, especially Furlan. Levi's attitude had changed, and it must have been to do with the night before. There was no chance Levi would let her join them if he hadn't finally accepted her. Furlan wished he had been there like a fly on the wall knowing that their conversation would have been interesting.

"What are you thinking Big Bro?" Isabel snapped, "She doesn't have any experience with these things. She could get herself killed!"

"Whatever we do down here could get us killed. It's a fact and you should know this by now," Levi said; a cold harsh glare on his face, "When Anna came into this group, she knew what she was getting herself into. We all told her what it would be like living here."

Isabel wanted to counter the stubborn man, but she was cut off.

"Isabel, it's okay," Anna put a hand on her shoulder to reassure her, "Levi's right. I knew what I was getting into when I agreed to stay here. I don't want to burden you guys anyways." Isabel gave her a look of surprise, before turning and giving Levi a stern stare.