Chapter Ten {Pendant}

When the group had finished cleaning the space to Levi's high standards, the four were split into different groups. Isabel went to practice moving between horse and 3DMG, Furlan was sent to work on combat, Levi was sent to practice his swordsmanship whilst Anna was sent to learn more about the enemy: the titans.

Anna and her tutor sat in a small room, the sunlight cascading from the open window. Samual, another squad leader in the corps, put some books on the table before tucking a strand on his shoulder length dirty blond hair behind his ear. His dark hazel eyes studied the new recruit in front of him.

The girl didn't seem like much, her frame was small, but her muscles were toned, showing that she had been doing some work on her overall fitness. She sat with her forearms on the surface in front of her, her eyes focused on his own. By her twiddling her thumbs, Samuel could tell she was nervous, but her expression showed she was ready to take this seriously.

"Anna, right? How are you feeling?" he asked, taking his own seat at the table.

"I'm fine, thank you," she said in a polite manner. He nodded, turning the cover over and showed her the diagram within its pages.

"We'll start with the basics. titans are giant humanoid monsters that feed on people. The size they can be ranges greatly, from just a metre or two to even fifteen metres. Their physiology is much different from ours, however, and it's still shrouded in mystery for the most part." Anna said nothing, taking in whatever information she could get that would help keep her alive.

"Their body temperatures are extremely high. As a result, they emit steam from any injury or blood spatter that comes out. We don't know why, but their one instinct seems to be to consume human beings until their stomachs can't contain them anymore and regurgitate them." Samuel turned the page, the diagram on it labelled weak point.

"Now, the most dangerous thing about them is the fact they have the ability to regenerate almost any injury we cause. If a limb is cut off, it'll grow back in a matter of minutes."

"Hold on!" Anna couldn't hold back her shock. She knew that the titans were a threat, but this was worse than she ever imagined, "Are you saying that their invincible?" Samuel smiled softly, gesturing to the image on the page.

"Luckily for us, they have a weak point. If you cut the nape of their neck deep enough, they aren't able to regenerate." Anna was stunned, unable to fully comprehend that these monsters roamed the earth. Samuel went on to explain the nature of abnormals, the Scouts basic mission outside the walls and what would be expected of herself once the expedition began.

"This is madness," she muttered. The more she was taught, the more that a deep fear began settling in her chest. "We have to fight these things?"

"In order to learn more about the world outside, we do. We know a lot more than when we first started, so we stand a lot more of a chance now," Samuel started, "We all have our squads to look out for each other. Once you know each other well, then you'll be able to keep each other safe. In the meantime, we'll do everything we can to give you the best possible chance of coming back." He gave her a reassuring smile and reached out a hand to place on hers, but she quickly pulled it back.

"Is that everything for this lesson?" Anna didn't want to hear anymore, her mind a jumbled mess of thoughts and worries. "I'm sorry, I think I need to go lie down for a bit."

"No, that was everything for today. You look pale, do you need to go to the infirmary?"

"I-I'm fine. I just feel a little bit lightheaded, that's all." She started to stand but her legs quickly gave out and she fell back onto the seat.

"Let me help you back to your room," Samuel offered. He stood and walked over to the brunette, taking her hand which quickly she yanked away.

"Don't touch me!" she panicked, grasping her hand to her chest. Samuel stood stunned for a moment, "I-I'm sorry. I'll be fine."