Chapter Twelve {Present}

A small girl raced down the street, trying to find the perfect hiding place. Bella had come back to spend more time with her, and hide and seek was the child's favourite game. Normally, the two played within their large property, but the girl decided it was time for a change.

Her long brown hair flowed behind her as she ran, giggling with every step. Bella would never be able to find her, and she would be the winner for the first time ever. Suddenly something caught her eye and she grinned; a stairwell to a place she'd never seen before. The girl eagerly made her way down the large steps. People on the crowded streets behind her gave each other odd looks, as though they expected someone other than themselves to stop her. Nothing of the sort happened.

As the girl exited the slightly cramped staircase, she gasped as she took in large underground city in front of her. With all the candlelight, it reminded her of a mystical town from one of the books her nanny had read to her. With no hesitation, she made her way further down, thrilled to see so many potential hiding spots.

Many watched the girl as the walked through the dust covered street, filth getting on crisp white shirt. Her black skirt bounced with each step, her joy of a new adventure clear for all to see. She smiled at everyone she passed, and they awkwardly waved in return.

The child spotted a box with its lid slightly open, and in her heart she knew she had found the perfect spot. She skipped down the alley until she was stopped by an abrasive voice.

"Hey, little girl," it called out. The girl stopped and turned around, facing the two boys a few years older than herself.

"Hi! Are you playing hide and seek too?" she asked with a grin. The boys smirked.

"Hide and seek? That game is for babies!" The smaller of them snickered. They laughed. The small girl's smile disappeared.

"Is not! I'm eight so I'm not a baby and Bella isn't a baby!" she shouted.

"That doesn't matter," the taller of them said, "What matters is that you clearly don't live down here. Look at that outfit and that jewellery." He stepped forward, and the girl stepped back.

"You're right," his friend responded, a malicious grin appeared. "Hey, how about you give some of that to us? Do that, and we might let you go home tonight."

"What? No, this is mine!" she argued, fear now settling into her small frame. "I'm going to go now. I need to find Bella." She went to walk passed when her arm was grabbed, roughly pulling her back.

"Did we say you could leave, little girl?"

"Let go of me!" she screamed. A calloused hand quickly slapped her across the face, and then shoved her to the ground. A shriek left her mouth at the impact.

"Now be a good girl and hand it over."

"If you had just listened, we wouldn't have had to do that."

"Wouldn't have had to do what exactly?" The two boys turned to the entrance of the alleyway.

"Oh, Levi, uh, it's nothing really," the tall boy stuttered.

With the boys surprised by the sudden appearance, the girl took the chance to stand up and run to the stranger, putting him between herself and her attackers.

She was sobbing as she ran behind the teen, grasping the back of his shirt tightly. Levi's eyes widened, unsure what to make of the situation. He turned to look down into her eyes and she cried out "please help me." Taking in her appearance, it didn't take long to notice the swelling of her cheek.