Chapter Nine {Smile}

The carriage ride to the Scout Regiment headquarters was a long and silent one. The four captives were all filled with mixed emotions about what had transpired, but they kept reminding themselves that this was all part of the job. Anna sat next to Levi, her shaking figure giving away her current mental state. The raven-haired man gripped onto her hand tightly, reassuring her.

Anna's tear-stained face looked over to Levi's who was currently staring out at the passing scenery. She smiled, appreciating his effort to comfort her when she needed it. The brunette turned her head, taking in the new views that passed her.

Though the ride was long, the group all wished it had been longer still. Before they were ready, the carriage came to a halt in front of a large stone structure. The guards that had accompanied them pushed them out with more force than necessary for which the soldiers received harsh glares from their captives. They were told to wait in front of the carriage while their arrival was reported to those expecting them.

"Levi, about joining the Survey Corps; does this mean-" Furlan hesitantly started but he was quickly cut off by Levi.

"I have no intentions of enlisting. I came here to get closer to that Blond Jackass," Levi spat, his eyes burning with malice as he thought of the squad leader, "I'll wait for an opening, and then I'll kill that rat bastard."

Though Anna didn't want to see any unnecessary violence, she completely understood Levi's motivations. A part of herself wanted to see the man punished for taking away almost everything she knew. She shoved that little piece of her right down into the depths of her subconscious where it could never be seen. She didn't want to be that person.

"Levi," she murmured, and he looked down at her, "think about his for a moment." He looked into her eyes and realised what he had just said. He let out a heavy sigh before breaking away from her gaze.

"Don't you remember my plan?" Furlan asked, "If you're still lost, let me refresh your memory. There's no way they'll make contact with us again. It'd be pointless to kill Erwin now," Furlan was completely and utterly desperate. He needed to keep Erwin alive otherwise the documents that he was meant to have might never be found, "This is our big chance. I know it'll work, trust me, Levi."

The two men stared off at each other, waiting for the other to give in, but Furlan's reason quickly convinced Levi. His rage began to fade and was replaced by mild irritation.

"You four, come here," a soldier ordered. Levi ignored him, walking off to another direction. Anna followed behind, refusing to leave him alone during a time filled with such confliction.

"Levi," Furlan called out. Levi stopped for a brief moment before starting to walk off again. Anna quickly followed as he entered a building and started to walk up a flight of stairs. With his usual stoic expression, Levi turned to look behind him.

"Why are you following me Brat?" he asked irritated. He wasn't in the mood for dealing with anyone, and the last thing he wanted to do was lose his patience with Anna.

"I followed you because I was worried. If you need time alone, I can leave." Levi's stormy eyes met her own and she watched as his expression soften. He could never say no to her.

"It doesn't matter," he muttered and kept moving forward up to his desired destination: the roof. Once they opened the door to the rooftop, Anna looked up into the evening sky and grinned. Levi took a seat on the edge of the building, Anna taking a seat next to him.

Levi had always wondered about her smile. He knew everything that Anna had been through, from losing her memory, to the scar on her cheek, to now being taken away from everything familiar to her. Despite all that, she continued to genuinely smile at the smallest things. She looked happy to experience things with even the smallest significance. An hour passed and the deep orange sky faded into darkness. No words were spoken, the silence and his thoughts beginning to suffocate Levi.