Chapter 20

"It's about time you showed up," Merric spat. "Do you have any idea what would've happen to her had she not been put in my pack's territory? She could've been k--"

"I'm sorry but how the hell do you expect me to 'show up' faster than I can blink when I didn't know where the hell she was?" Jimin interrupted angrily, his hold on you tightening. "My mother lied to me at first and said (Y/n) just went outside for a walk. It wasn't until I ran into a maid, Eleanor, in the early afternoon that she told me she was suspicious about her actual whereabouts. After a fuck ton of arguing, my mother finally told me the truth about dumping (Y/n) off somewhere but wouldn't tell me the exact location. Do you know how long I've been going around trying to track her down!?"

The only part of the explanation that you could focus on was the bit about Eleanor. If she didn't know where you were and even tried to help Jimin then she couldn't possibly have been working alongside Jiyeon.

"Well, apparently you don't know your mother! Maybe you should try keeping tabs on her next time so you'll catch her in the act of murdering your so-called girlfriend!" Merric roared.

Jimin turned his attention to you, face going pale. "S-She killed you?"

You nodded your head, tears tricking down your cheeks and lip quivering. At this point, you could hardly care about yourself. "A-And our baby?"

"Our what?" Jimin exclaimed loudly, quickly lowering his voice when you flinched away. "You were pregnant?"

"Bravo! Not only do I award you with boyfriend of the year but now also with the father of the year award," Merric said sarcastically with a humourless laugh, clapping slowly.

You turned to look at Merric furiously. "The baby's own mother didn't know they existed, I'm pretty sure that makes me worse! So what, are you gonna give me some bullshit award too, huh!? Why don't you fuck off!"

Merric frowned, and was that a hint of guilt in his eyes? "I didn't me--"

"Merric, why don't you just go back to your pack now. I know the way out so it won't be necessary for you to continue escorting (Y/n)," Jimin suggested, voice hard.

"How do I know you'll actually leave?" Merric asked skeptically.

Jimin rolled his eyes. "For fuck's sake, this is werewolf territory. It's the last place I'd rather be--I won't be extending my visit any longer than necessary."

Merric still seemed unsure so you turned to look at him, speaking as nicely as possible. "Please, Merric. I...I wanna be alone with him."

Luckily, Merric knew what you meant by this and, reluctantly nodded his head. Jimin was pleased with the response and let out a sigh of relief before kissing the side of your head. Merric began walking away from you two but stopped just before he could disappear from your view.

"Next time I see you in our territory, I won't be able to help you. You know that right?" he asked you.

"I understand. In that case, I hope we won't run into each other again," you said softly.

"I'm sorry."

And with that, Merric transformed into his wolf form, red coat briefly shining from the moonlight, and took off running in the other direction. You weren't exactly sure what he was apologizing for. Maybe because you had been turned against your will, your unborn child was killed, or maybe he was referring to everything that had happened regarding your friendship, or that you would never be able to act the same way around each other ever again now that you two would be mortal enemies. Maybe a combination of everything. While you were thinking about this, a howl rang through clear in the air, sounding pained and full of grief, and something inside you told you it belonged to Merric.