Chapter 8

It has started again. The searing pain, the agony of feeling like my heart's being pulled from my chest.

This feels worse than the rest. My breathing feels ragged and my vision is starting to blur.

The feeling just got worse every time. I started walking down the stairs and almost tripped.

"Help me!" I screamed with every breath left in me.

"Somebody," I whispered, "help me."

I blacked out and felt my body rolling on the staircase. I heard faint voices. The voice was directing the others to call the pack doctor.

I woke up but my vision is only starting to adjust. Something feels heavy on my arm but I don't seem to have the energy to lift my hand.

The pack doctor suddenly entered the room. And suddenly the heavy thing was lifted off.

"So how is she?" Kaden asked worriedly.

"It's just like what you thought," the pack doctor said pitifully.

I guess they didn't know I was already conscious.

"Kaden," I said feigning curiosity as I wake up just now, "What are you doing here?"

"Could you leave us for a while?" He directed the pack doctor dismissively.

"Yes, Beta," the pack doctor hurriedly left.

Kaden sat beside me and held my arm. He was looking at my hand, as if it was the most fascinating thing he's ever seen.

"Kaden," I whispered, "What happened?"

"You don't deserve this Nicole. I can't see you hurting this way," he said very much concerned.

It has almost been a week and Carter will be back soon. I don't think I can bare being with him any longer as my mate. It's not as if he treated me like one.

I had to leave. It was a choice I had to make.

"I need a favor to ask," I said.

Carter and I were never fully mated to begin with. He only left a mark on my neck so our connection is not that strong yet so he won't be able to track me down.

"I'm leaving Carter," I said with utmost resolution, "and this pack. Help me run away."

I never belonged here in the first place. It's not like anyone would notice my absence.

I've had enough of seeing Nicole suffer in the hands of Carter. It has almost been a week and despite treating her unfairly in the past, she doesn't deserve to be beaten up and looked down.

We used to be good friends in the past. Heck, we basically grew up together but as soon as I learned that I was in line to be the next Beta of the pack, I was forced to disassociate myself from her in order to be accepted.

I had to be like everyone else.

My loyalty lies with the upcoming Alpha Carter but I know what I had to do. I was raised better than to let a woman, let alone the future Luna of this pack, break down into pieces.

She's always been good and she doesn't deserve to be abused in the hands of her own mate. I had to figure out a way to get her out of here before Carter comes back.

"Listen, Nicole," I said hurriedly, "You have to leave before dawn. Don't worry about Carter. I'll try to hold him off as long as I can. But promise me this — you have to get away as far as possible from him."

She nodded in approval, "I promise."

I helped her get on her feet and pack her bags. I know this is the only way she'll be able to cut her connection with her mate.

The pain she felt now could always come back when Carter's with someone else but it will always be better than to see her suffer under his hands.

It was getting dark and she had to leave so no one would notice. I took out a few wads of bill from my wallet and offered her my jacket.

"You have to take this," I pleaded, "You need this to mask your scent with mine so he won't be able to track you down."

She took a deep breath and looked me in the eye with sincerity, "I'll never forget this Kaden. Thank you."

I took her bags and placed it in the trunk of my car. I turned on the ignition and she soon followed. After putting on her seatbelt, I drove as fast as I could to the farthest bus stop just outside the perimeter of the pack.

We were both in it for the ride of out lives. But honestly, I don't know why I'm taking this much risk for her. All I know is that this is the right thing to do and at this point, I was all that she had.

I parked my car near the bus stop and helped Nicole with her bags. She already bought the tickets and I didn't bother knowing where she was headed to. For both our sakes, the less I know the better.

We had to wait in the benches for her bus to arrive. She was wearing my jacket in the air conditioned room when she suddenly stifled a yawn and turned red from embarrassment.

"Hey, I know we haven't been on the best terms the past few years but I'll always have your back," I assured her, "Go rest, you still have a long way to go."

Nicole leaned over and whispered, "I owe you Kaden" while she suddenly fell asleep on my shoulder.

After half an hour, the lady over the speaker began saying that it was time for her bus to board passengers. It was her time to go. So I gently nudged her and woke her up.

"It's time," I said.

Her gentle smile as she waved me goodbye was all that she had left me after her bus left the station. I keep making myself believe that everything I did was for the best. And it's time for Carter to face the consequences of his actions.

*****
Check out my other book:
Suddenly A Stranger