Chapter 3: Escape from the Academy 10-15-19

The second Ezra was forced into the boys only sleeping corridors that roomed eight boys, he immediately started scanning the room for an exit. The boys were told by the lieutenant to have a quick look around and then to be ready to be called down to talk to the Grand Inquisitor.

Ezra was still fuming over the fact that he had been "kidnapped" by the Imperials and was being forced into the Academy. Over and over he kept wishing he had stayed in his lonely tower instead of venturing into Capital City for his own comfort.

"Where you from?" a voice asked from behind him as he had been looking around for a hidden exit or door.

Ezra whirled around to see a boy about his age. He had blond hair, blue eyes, and many freckles that covered his very white face.

"Here. You?" Ezra asked, not wanting to engage, but knowing ignoring the boy would case suspicion and dislike towards him.

"I moved here from Alderran two years ago,"

Ezra nodded, glancing at the ceiling.

"Bendit," the boy held out his hand, "What is your name?"

Ezra looked at Bendit, unsure of how to answer. He didn't want to lie, but at the same time, he knew he couldn't trust anybody. Even if the boy looked nice and innocent enough, he didn't seem to be bothered by the fact that he was just torn from his home.

"Dev," he made up on the fly and shook the boys waiting hand.

Bendit was about to saw something when the lieutenant returned to the boy's sleeping corridors.

"Let's not keep the Grand Inquisitor waiting," the lieutenant pointed at Bendit, "You first,"

Ezra waved as Bendit left the room, looking a little scared. Ezra didn't blame him, but he didn't waste his time thinking about the feelings of the boy he had just met. His thoughts quickly returned to the task at hand. Escape.

There were two doors in the room. One that led to the hallway, which lead to the rest of the Imperial base and the other looked to be a closet or storage room. Ezra made his way over to the opposite door from the hallway and peered inside. It turned out to be a storage room, filled with shelves of Cadet helmets and other fake, training weapons and gadgets.

Turning around, he noticed the other six boys in the room were either lying down on their beds or talking amongst each other. Nobody seemed to be paying any attention to him, so he slipped into the storage room, the automatic door sliding closed behind him. He wasn't sure if he was trapping himself away even further into the Imperial base, but he had to look everywhere for an escape.

As he scanned the room, he was well aware of the metal smell and taste of the air. The artificial texture of the air gave him unwanted chills. Finally, after walking back and forth through the shelves for the third time, he noticed a ventilation shaft on the ceiling in the corner of the room. He heard commotion in the other room, and quickened his next move.

Ezra climbed a shelf full of trainer blasters that was against the far wall from the door. Once he was at the top, he crouched with his knees bent as he opened the ventilation shaft. He was thankful it wasn't locked. Once it was open, he stood up on the shelf and pulled his slender body into the vent. It wasn't a comfortable fit, but it also wasn't a tight fit either. He was a small kid for his age, which helped him in many tight situations.

Just as he was closing the ventilation shaft, quietly, he heard the storage room door swish open

Just as he was closing the ventilation shaft, quietly, he heard the storage room door swish open. He held his breath and didn't move a muscle as he listened to a pair of booted feet come marching into the room.

"The Grand Inquisitor has requested the boy with blue hair next. Where could he have gone?" somebody asked the person who must have opened the door. They sounded more distant.

"Maybe he ventured to the refresher?" Another voice wondered.

"He didn't have orders to do so. Send out a patrol. We don't want the Grand Inquisitor to lose patience," the first voice said as Ezra heard the door close again.

Ezra let out the breath he was holding and started crawling carefully through the ventilation shafts. He hoped he wouldn't run into any shaft crawlers or complications on his escape mission.

After about an hour of crawling, his elbows were bruised and his head hurt from accidently bumping it on the ceiling a number of times. He started counting, but had lost count a long time ago. Finally, he found a light source up ahead and crawled eagerly to it. To his disappointment, it was not a way out, only an airflow duct. There were gray bars that allowed him to look out at the academy. He had no idea where he was, but from what he saw, it was a crowd of stormtrooper legs.

Ezra quickly backed away in fear somebody would see him. Crawling backwards was even more annoying than moving forward, Ezra soon found out. Just as he was about to turn another corner, an ear-piercing alarm rang. Out of instinct, he bashed his head to the ground and covered his ears and head, trying to warn off the horrible screeching sound of the buzzer. It was even louder in the air ducts because of the metal texture that made it echo through the tunnel.

The horrible noise pursued for another long hour as Ezra made his way through the winding tunnels. As soon as the alarm system shut down, he laid his head on the metal flooring and rested his eyes, but mostly his elbows if he was being honest with himself. He had never been in a pipe system for this long and he began to wonder if he would ever get out.

Suddenly something seemed to click in his head and he made his way fast through the ducts taking precise directions when needed. He couldn't explain the sudden urge to move as well as where exactly to turn at the forks. Finally, after about another twenty minutes, the tunnel led him to a hatch that opened downward. Smiling, and practically laughing with joy, Ezra crawled to the hatch and opened it. He hoped nobody was on the other side.

After peeking through a small sliver, he realized it led to the sewer! He had traveled in the sewer pipes so often he was sure he could find his way back home effortlessly. As he eased the hatch open all the way, he was thankful to see the ladder that eased down into the large pipe. Without the ladder to support him, he would have had to jump the twenty feet down. And from his current angle, that would not have worked well.

Climbing down the ladder slowly, he was eager to stretch his legs and back. After hours of being in the shafts, he was sore and ready for a long night's sleep. He reminded himself that he still had a long way to go. You aren't out of this mess yet!

A/N: So sorry for the long wait! I finished writing the story forever ago, but totally forgot to post it! How could I!? Don't worry the last 2 chapters will be out very soon! :D

To make up for my failure, I have another finished story about Ezra and Sabine coming soon!