Chapter 4: Ezra vs Bucketheads

Ezra had easily been able to direct himself out of the sewer within 20 minutes. He knew exactly which hatch was unguarded from the outside. He had used it so many times for escape it was no wonder the Imperials hadn't taken notice of it.

The hardest part was picking the droid lock that sealed the hatch from the inside out. That part alone had taken up a full 10 minutes that easily tested his patience. But he didn't give up, and now he was casually walking through the streets of Capital City.

Walking through, Ezra nervously spotted storm troopers everywhere he looked. They were still recruiting children to join the academy. He hoped they would all be focused on their next victim that they wouldn't notice him.

As much as possible, he tried staying in the shadows with his head cast downward. He knew if he were questioned, the Imperial's wouldn't even hesitate for a second to take the orphan off the streets and back into the academy he had just escaped. Orphans were the easiest recruits... no parents to haggle with.

"Hey you! Stop!" the sound of a storm trooper shouted.

Ezra jumped and turned around ready to run at any sense of trouble, Luckily, nobody had seen him, but another native to the planet who must have bothered a storm trooper somehow. Anything could be taken the wrong way from a storm trooper. They were always looking to make the people of Lothal seem guilty for things they had no control over or had done on accident.

Keep moving, Ezra commanded himself.

He had been walking towards the general direction of his secluded, abandoned radio tower for the past half hour and was happy to have not had any run ins with Imperials. Just as that thought crossed his mind, he was grabbed from behind by a strong grip.

"Where are you headed?"

Ezra turned and in his fright, looked up to see a stormtrooper who had his skinny arm in an iron grip.

"I...uh..." Ezra mumbled, looking up with wide, terrified eyes.

"Speak!" the trooper shook him which sent unpleasant chills through his body.

"I was at the academy... and uh... I asked if I could go back to my house to... um... pick up something I left behind," Ezra tried to smile as if he were confident.

"Did you get permission?"

"Of course, sir! I would never walk out of the academy without following the rules," Ezra forced the words out.

"Who gave you permission?" the stormtroopers evil mask unsettled Ezra.

"How am I supposed to know? A guy wearing a black uniform," Ezra made up, remembering how he had seen one that had fit that description.

This seemed to have stumped the trooper. Ezra tried wriggling out of the grip and was surprisingly successful. However, he did not run... yet.

"Alright, move along, but we have eyes on you,"

"Of course, sir,"

Through the fear he felt, Ezra threw on a fake smile and turned away from the trooper. As he walked normally, he could feel the eyes of the storm trooper penetrating his back. It was the feeling he had had when he had walked out of the Grand Inquisitors office earlier that same day. Although, he could agree that the Inquisitor's eyes had stung even more.

He started walking faster when he heard the static of a walkie talkie and the trooper mumbling something through it. No doubt he was asking about a boy who had supposedly left the academy to get something at his house. Later, Ezra would laugh about how ridiculous that sounded. It was a miracle the fool of a trooper had believed such a lie.

Right as Ezra turned the corner, he heard running feet. The feet of a storm trooper could not be duplicated by anything else. After hearing that sound over the past 10 years of his life, Ezra was certain they were coming after him.

Looking around, he saw multiple houses and alleys. He ran down one hoping to find his way through the narrow maze. Unfortunately, the trooper who had been after him had seen him and started running his way shouting for him to stop.

Now was the time to run. Ezra burst out in a full sprint. Turning another corner and then another, he made his way to the side of a building where he found a trooper transport. At first he had stumbled back thinking he was about to be overwhelmed by a squad of troopers, but that was not the case. It was empty, or it had recruited kids in it.

Not looking back, Ezra darted underneath the transport. He rolled the rest of his body under it to the center and grabbed a hold of the bars underneath the vehicle. Ezra intertwined his legs into the bars and then looped his arms up. Trying to make his body as flat as possible against the underside of the transport, he stayed quiet.

A number of storm trooper footsteps could be heard running past the transport. Ezra held on tight, his knuckles turning white fast. He wouldn't be able to hold on for very long. Holding most of his body weight as he was, was tiring.

"Where did he go?" one trooper asked

"If he gets away we get killed,"

"Don't say that,"

"It's true! Did you see what that monster did to SR-39302?"

"Don't remind me!"

"Let's keep moving, split up,"

With that, however, many troopers were there ran in opposite directions... or so Ezra thought. Just as he was unhooking his legs from the bars underneath the transport, it started moving. With a shriek, Ezra toppled to the ground as it started moving away. He stayed flat against the ground, so the above metal wouldn't knock him out.

As the storm trooper transport moved past, over Ezra, it gushed out a cloud of pollution. It was black and Ezra didn't have time to block himself before it overwhelmed him.

Coughing and waving his hands around to ease the black smoke, he stood up realizing he was out in the open. Looking down at himself, he also realized he had a good disguise. He was covered from his head to about his torso in black soot from whatever had come out of the transports engine.

With his new, but disgusting disguise, Ezra proudly made his way through Capital City and started his long journey home. Nothing had ever sounded better. 

A/N: Last part of this short story coming soon and then onwards to more Ezra short stories! :D