The Talk Before The Storm

Chapter 20•Alex Cross

I paid no mind to the chilled water that ran down my body

I paid no mind to the chilled water that ran down my body. The dark bathroom wasn't enough to put me at ease. My body had shut down to the point I couldn't manage to move. I hugged my knees closer to my body as I continued to cry silently.

I feel bad for what happened. I never intended to hurt Laurence. I felt that it was the right thing to do in order to keep us on good terms. It's obvious that took a wrong turn.

I ended up hurting him and also myself. The way he responded to my demand repeated in my head. I brung out the bar in him and it was terrifying. He's so kind and chill and I corrupted him.

Why did he have to choose me to be on his team that day? Why did he have to ask for a pen that day? Why didn't he just stay a stranger?!

I'm a horrible person. Here I am doing the same thing that I disgust, something that I wasn't a stranger to. I've been unconsciously placed in a mindset that I never expected to be in.

I wasn't myself and I hate it.

"Alex?!" I hear my name being called out for the 7th time now.

"Just leave me alone." My voice so low that I couldn't hear it over the running water.

I guess whoever it was had enough of banging on the door and just entered. The door was locked but that wasn't enough to stop them from barging in. The light was flicked on and the shower curtain was drawn back.

I had no intentions in knowing who it was so I just stayed how I was.

"Come on Alex.." Alonzo's voice played in my ear as the running water comes to a stop. He picked me up sat me on the edge of the tub.

He pulled his now soaked shirt off before taking my dry towel and put it to work. "Talk to me." He mumbled as he wiped my tears away. I declined his offer with a simple head shake. He sighs before concentrating on drying me off.

Once I'm dry, he wraps the towel around me before lifting me with little effort. Within minutes I was placed in his bed and was tucked away in his sheets. He leaves out the room and I settled as soon as his cologne permeates my nostrils.

This was my first time being in his childhood room since I been here. Posters of half naked girls and his old sports jerseys hung from the walls while basketball trophies and metals dressed the top of his dressers.

His nightstand held his pistol along with a stack of cash and a bag of weed. I just ignore it and focus on the picture that also resided there. He was a curly headed teenager and wore the biggest smile ever. Still, was as fine as ever.

"I was 15 in that picture," Zo let his presence be known as he take a seat near my legs. "One of my boys took that after we won state."

I sit up just as I take the mug he brung up. I begin to roll a blunt, "When I was a junior I was talking to this girl name Masha. She was one of them good girls with them too I'll parents that keep you in the house. Fine as fuck, real smart, and had a slick mouth. She had me so in love."