2.4

TWENTY-FOUR.
mando's old colleague

🔹️🔹️🔹️

Mando navigated the ship down to a desolate area with only a space station hangar nearby. I crossed my arms, leaning back in my chair as the Razor Crest landed on a bay full of machinery and workers.

He stood up from his seat and grabbed the child, placing him in his arms. He looked at me, "Follow me."

"Alright," I shrugged, standing up and walking over to the secret room where the child was to hide inside of again. "Hopefully he doesn't escape this time."

"Yeah," Mando replied, placing the child inside the room and closing the hatch. "Hopefully."

Afterwards, we walked over towards the ship's entrance as Mando unlatched the opening. He looked around at the bay before turning to me once again.

"Be careful," He said as sparks of light flashed in front of our eyes. "Not sure if these people will play nice, especially with you."

I raised an eyebrow, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"I-- nevermind," He shook his head, slowly walking down the entry way. "Just.. follow my lead."

I sighed, walking down the ship's entrance next to him. We began roaming around the space station hangar as Mando looked around for his 'colleague'. People stared and gave us dirty looks, observing our features.

"Mando," A stern but welcoming voice called out to him. We turned around on our heels, facing the owner of the voice. "Is that you under that bucket?"

The man held out his hand for Mando with a small smile on his face. Mando glanced over at me for a split second before shaking the man's hand. He greeted him, "Ran."

"I didn't really know if I'd ever see you in these parts again.. good to see you." Ran said, pulling his hand away from Mando's. He shifted his gaze onto mine with raised eyebrows. "And who's this pretty lady over here?"

Mando announced, "She's with me -- we're gonna get the job done together."

"Your girlfriend?"

Mando cleared his throat, ".. Partner."

"Adalyn," I said, holding out my hand for Ran. "Nice to meet you."

"Hey, if you want.. I can tell you some embarrassing stories about Mando while he's not listenin'." Ran laughed, shaking my hand for a brief moment as I chuckled in response. He pointed at me, facing Mando once again. "I like this one."

Mando groaned under his breath, "Ran, please, not now."

"Alright, alright." As we walked a bit further away from all the noise, Ran placed a hand on Mando's shoulder; talking some more. "You know, to be honest, I was a little surprised when you reached out to me."

Mando stopped walking, turning to face him. I stood right next to them and watched as Ran continued to talk. "You know, 'cause I hear things. Like.. maybe things between you; the girl and the Guild aren't workin' out."

Mando rolled his head, slightly annoyed. "I'll be fine."

"Okay, well, you know the policy: no questions." Ran nodded, placing his hand on his shoulder once again. He smiled, turning to face the both of us as we walked some more. "And you, you're welcome back here anytime.. along with that girl of yours."

🔹️🔹️🔹️

"So, what's the job?" Mando asked Ran while we trudged along a high platform.