XXIII

"He showed me his scars, and in return he let me pretend that I had none." Madeline Miller 

----

XXIII.

"Will you tell me where you are taking me?" Eliza asked for the fifteenth time. "We have been walking for ages!"

"We have not been walking that far," rebuffed Captain Buckley.

"But your legs are twice as long as mine! I must walk farther!"

Captain Buckley had woken Eliza early. Early enough for it to still be dark out. Eliza could remember a time, very recently in fact, where she would not rise out of bed before ten in the morning.

He had told her that as the crew would be carting sugar all day, and as he wanted to steer clear of the plantation, they would be going on an adventure.

Captain Buckley had called their expedition and adventure.Eliza could have sworn that she was dreaming. But there was spirit in his dark eyes, and Eliza was determined to follow.

He had not revealed to her just why the previous day had been so poor, nor had he confided in her about why he had not laughed in twenty years, and Eliza secretly hoped that today would be the day.

Captain Buckley had led Eliza out of town on foot and into the mountainous jungle. He knew his way well and navigated the terrain with ease. But he was patient and understood that Eliza could only go as fast as her short legs would take her.

She was terribly hot and sweaty, but she put it out of her mind when she focussed on what she was doing. She was exploring mountainous Jamaica! Never in her wildest dreams could she have predicted such an incredible journey for herself. It was worth every drop of sweat.

The jungle was so alive. Everything was green and tall, and the trunks of the trees were covered in mossy life. She saw insects that she had never seen before. Mysterious fruit hung from trees. She even saw a family of monkeys swinging through the trees.

She heard their destination before they saw it. She could hear the powerful water. But nothing could compare to what she saw when they stepped out of the jungle and into the small lagoon.

A cove of rock protected the lagoon, and gush of water spilled over it, magnetically falling into the crystal-clear pool below. Eliza could see every single pebble in the lagoon. The water kept coming, cascading down as though it were a painting, or a figment of Eliza's imagination. Never had she seen such natural beauty.

The sun began to rise over the top of the cove, giving off the most beautiful golden glow. It did not seem real.

"Is it worth the trek?" asked Captain Buckley.

"It is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen," gushed Eliza, covering her mouth with her hands.

"I would have agreed with you a month or so ago," he murmured quietly, but Eliza had already rushed over to the edge of the pool.

Squatting down, she placed her hands in the cool, fresh water, feeling the smoothness of the stones with her palms. She was so distracted that she had not noticed the captain removing his shirt and boots and running directly into the lagoon, disturbing the water, and splashing as he ran, before reaching a depth that allowed him to swim.

Eliza noticed immediately that across his back were dozens of little drawings, tattoos, she thought they were called. She had never seen one in person before.

Captain Buckley dove underwater before rising again a moment later, rubbing the water from his face. As he bobbed in the water, she could see that his chest had several tattoos as well, though from her position, she could not discern what they were.