XXXVII

"What is real and what is not is for your heart to decide and for your heart to know." Colleen Houck, Tiger's Curse

---- 

XXXVII.

Tom's head flew back at the force of Eliza's fist.

His first thought was almighty pain as the warmth of the blood began to spill out of his nose and down his front.

His second thought was why on earth did he teach her how to do that?

As Tom tried to stop the blood with his hands as his head began to throb, a cloth napkin was quickly thrust into his hand

"I am so sorry, Captain," cried Mrs Banes. "I had no idea that she would do that!" she assured him.

"But I did," Tom struggled. He was not surprised at all, and he knew that he deserved it, no matter how noble his intentions had been. Toying with a woman's heart, even without meaning to, would be a capital offense in their eyes.

Mr Banes went off after his daughter, and Mrs Banes stayed with Tom as she helped to control his bleeding.

It took a good twenty minutes for the bleeding to stop, and a variant of steak to help with the swelling before Tom was able to properly and coherently communicate with his surroundings.

"Will you take some brandy?" Mrs Banes asked. "It will help with the pain."

"No, thank you, ma'am," Tom refused politely. "I never indulge."

She looked at him most peculiarly, but she did not press him on the issue. "I wish I had something to offer you then. I will send for the doctor, though."

Tom knew there was not much a doctor could do for him, but if it would settle the nerves of Mrs Banes, then he was not going to argue.

Tom needed to speak with Eliza, he needed to talk to her and make her understand his reasoning. Then, and only then, could he fall to his knees and beg her forgiveness. A crooked nose would be an acceptable new attribute if she would accept him.

There was movement at the door, and Tom turned immediately, hoping to see Eliza there. But it was another woman, a young woman, with raven black hair, and bright, blue eyes. She was small and unassuming, but had a kind air about her, especially in the way that she looked over the situation in the drawing room.

"Do you need anything, Captain?" she asked, concerned.

"Oh, dear, I'd quite forgotten to make the introduction what with Eliza's antics. Captain, please allow me to introduce my other daughter, Katy, the Countess of Wilshire. Katy, this is Captain Buckley. Eliza just assaulted him."

It seemed fitting, in and amongst the pain and the stench of raw meat upon his nose, to finally put a face to the name. Katy was the person of whom Eliza spoke of most often, always describing her as her favourite person in the world.

Tom wished he could have made a better impression. "Milady," he greeted, bowing his head, though immediately regretting it. The sensation sent a wave of nauseating pain directly to his stomach, and he conditioned himself not to move again.

"Oh, no, please, Katy is just fine," Katy insisted.

"Can I speak with her?" Tom asked the room.

"Please understand, Captain. Eliza is a very passionate individual, and she is very upset with you. I am sorry to say it, but I am not at all surprised that she hit you," Katy confessed.

"Am I the only one living in hope that one day I will wake up to find a lady in that bedroom?" Mrs Banes asked facetiously.

"I am not surprised either," replied Tom. "In fact, I am the one who taught her how to properly throw a fist," he confessed. "I obviously taught her very well."