Chapter 11: The Truth

Steve's P.O.V.

I watched as Charles lifted his fingers to his temple. 

"Go to sleep."

He commanded bringing my attention back to Y/N whose eyes had immediately closed. Before I could react, Peter had appeared behind her as she fell to the side to catch her. My mind didn't have time to comprehend how Peter had gotten over to her so fast as I ran over to her. Peter scooped her up in his arms while my hands met her face. 

"Steve."

Mr. Smith said to me in a calm matter coming towards the situation. 

"She's okay right?"

I questioned while I lightly stroked her face. 

"You need to bring Y/N home and convince her that what she saw here did not actually happen."

My head whipped over to make serious eye contact with him.

"Why can't we just tell her the truth, I know you wiped her memory to protect from Brenner getting information but we can protect her from him now... I can protect her from him."

I emphasized as everyone seemed to look at me weirdly. 

"What did you tell him?"

Charles questioned Mr. Smith while he gestured to Peter. Peter reached out Y/N to me as I took her in my arms. Mr. Smith came up to us while I smiled at the way she looked so peaceful.

"Steve, trust me on this, don't tell her anything."

"Why don't you just tell me the truth about what's really going on here!"

I yelled at Mr. Smith in frustration.

"It's for her protection that she doesn't remember."

Peter explained to me with seriousness in his eyes. My eyes rolled in response while I pushed aside Peter heading towards the outside doors of the box. Dustin came over to open the door for me. Unexpectedly, Peter appeared outside the door somehow getting past me without realizing. 

"Y/N's life depends on her not remembering something about herself, you have to convince her that all of what happened here was a dream. Okay?"

"Fine."

I commented harshly avoiding eye contact while brushing past him yet again. I heard the door shut behind us before I lifted Y/N up a little. Her head rested on my shoulder blade as her arms flew around my neck. My cheeks flushed feeling her breath on my neck while Dustin was staring at me with a skeptical glance. 

"You gonna tell her when she wakes up?"

"I don't want to lie to her, it really hurts her on how she can't remember anything..."

I almost went on before Dustin interrupted. 

"Not about that, about your feelings."

My eyes gazed back down at her sound asleep in my arms. My forehead met hers in a little rush of happiness took over me. A smile appeared on my face ignoring Dustin's taunts in front of me. 

"Maybe I will."

I whispered to myself in response to Dustin's question. Then I lifted my head up to Dustin's proud smile with a sense of confidence I haven't had in a while. 

"I'll see you later."

I expressed before making my way down to the car to bring Y/N home.

Your P.O.V.