Part 1: The beginning of the end

"We never saw it coming. The whole world never saw it coming. Until it was too late." Brandon, 20 years of age, is sitting on a corroded chair, like a rotting body in a grave. 2 kids, around the ages of 10, are sitting in front of him in tattered clothing, "what happened, mister Brandon?" He smiles and sits up in his chair "now, Jessie, Harry you sure you want to know that?" Jessie and Harry both shout yes and Brandon prepares to tell the children exactly what happened in the past. 

4 years ago. 

Brandon is sitting in his house watching a movie, like a sloth he gradually grabbed his phone and called his friend, Jack, ready to leave his house and reconnect with his friends after working out of town for a week. Brandon meets Jack at a coffee shop in their town and they talk about what has been happening to them over the past week. 

"Hey Brandon, Jack nice to see the two of you here," Scott, a friend of Brandon and Jack's, sits down next to them and gets in on the gossip. The friends sit there for hours talking remembering how fun it is to socialize with their friends. Brandon heads home, getting a text message on the way, another friend of his, Diane asks him to meet her the next day. 

Next morning Brandon meets Diane at the coffee shop and talk as they have not spoke in a month, Brandon realizes he has been distant and plans to change that starting from that day, Brandon heads home a few hours later and watches the news where reports of people turning up all over the world experiencing effects of a sort of plague. 

the plague seems to only work if you are bitten by someone already infected leaving out the possibility of people randomly getting infected, Brandon begins to send a group message to Jack, Scott and Diane. Screaming and explosions can be heard outside but Brandon arranges for everyone to stay at their houses while he goes to get each of them, in a flash each of them agree and wait for Brandon to arrive to get him. Like lightning Brandon goes down into the basement and pulls out a tiny pistol from a briefcase, a present from his father on his 18th birthday so that he could protect himself. 

Brandon leaves through the back gate of his house and avoids entering the main street hoping to reach Scott who lives on the same street as him, like a ninja Brandon moves through the shadows making sure he does not make any loud noises getting glimpses of people getting dragged along the road. Outside of Scott's house Brandon walks towards the front door when a tree begins falling on top of him like an arm of a giant trying to crush him. 

Brandon never saw them coming from behind, but he was quick enough to begin shooting them hoping to kill them quickly but only the ones hit in the head were killed. 

Brandon shoots one in the heart and watches as it does not get affected and begins piecing everything together and figures out the only way to kill the infected is to shoot them in the head so the brain dies or else it is useless to even try, so Brandon makes sure to shoot at the brain and drops all the infected before knocking on the door and entering to see Scott holding a little combat knife, "okay... now we will go and get Diane... you okay man?" 

".... Oh right yeah mate so lets go get her and Jack so we can leave this town and be free from these monsters." 

Brandon nods going to the back door finding multiple infected trying to break through like wild animals. Brandon tries to think of a way to hold the door there when a metal chair falls on to him as though it walked over to him to help, Brandon holds the door with the chair and the two of them zoom through the front door and begin to run down the main street walking past people running for their lives, bleeding. 

Brandon looks on the floor to see puddles of blood and body parts, with the rest of the people a few feet away slowly trying to reach them to go for the kill. Brandon puts the infected he finds to rest and hopes they will be at peace instead of these monsters trying to kill anything and anyone they find.