Part 10

You had to admit, the garden was lovely. You'd be lying if you said you didn't enjoy walks through it. You were in the middle of one of those walks when your phone rang. Seeing it was Natasha, you answered.

The two of you talked about Rosings and Jean Grey, and how much of a bitch she was, and about Loki's appearance and the awkward visit the day before.

"Speaking of Loki," Nat said. "Rumor has it he recently saved a friend from a bad relationship."

"Thor and Jane," you guessed.

"Way to jump to conclusions."

"Please, he's such a snob asshole. And he hated us, you can't tell me it's not a little suspicious."

"No, it's definitely suspicious. There just isn't any proof."

"Jane definitely liked Thor, and Thor definitely liked Jane, and suddenly Thor leaves without so much as a goodbye? Loki, definitely had something to do with it, Nat, and when I find out I'm gonna kill him."

"No murder."

"Metaphorically."

"No literal murder."

-------------------------------

That afternoon you were, once again, sitting in the living room alone reading. Stephen and Christine had not gone for a walk this time, but instead had gone to run some errands.

The doorbell rang again. A servant answered again. Footsteps came down the hall again. You were thinking to yourself how funny it would be if it was Loki again, and you looked up, and you wondered if you were psychic.

"Stephen and Christine are out again," you said by way of greeting. "I'm not sure when they'll be back this time."

"Pity," Loki replied. "I was hoping to listen to another tale of how appreciative he is of my godmother."

You snorted.

"I came to see you, actually. There's something I wish to say to you."

You closed your book. This should be good.

"I've tried to fight it, or at the very least disregard it," he began. "But it's no use. It seems I've taken a liking to you, despite your obvious faults, and despite the inevitable failure of our relationship."

You had no idea what to say. Loki didn't seem to be waiting for a response, as he continued on along the same line. The longer he went on, however, the more he placed the blame on you.

"Jesus, Loki, stop," you interrupted. "Good God, man, are you seriously listing all my faults and why we'd never work together as a couple in the middle of your love confession? That's a bit fucked up. And since we're getting things off our chest, it's my turn. Did you separate Jane and Thor?"

He searched your face for a moment, his expression never wavering from cool indifference. "Yes."

You stood from your chair. "You motherfucker! And you actually think I like you in return? Or did you just assume I would because you're you and I'm me? Even if I did, I would never even consider the idea of going out with you, especially not after what you did!"

You stared at each other for a long moment, not saying anything. Loki turned and left. Something in your chest felt heavy as you slowly sank back down in your chair.