Part 11

One of the servants brought a letter to you the next morning. You waited until you were alone in the guest room to read it. When you saw who it was from, you nearly threw it out. The last thing you wanted to do was read a letter from Loki, especially after yesterday. But you were curious, so you read it anyway.

And then you read it again. And a third time, just to be sure. Then you set it down and thought about everything that had been written inside.

Loki admitted, again, to splitting up Jane and Thor. He didn't want Thor involved with her because of the comments your mother had made about his wealth and status, and Loki thought it had been best to put an end to the budding relationship before things became too serious. You cursed your mother and her loose tongue.

He said Wickham had received the money from the will, and had blown all of it within a few weeks. He continually asked for money, and Loki had given it to him out of respect for his and Thor's mother. Eventually, Loki refused, and Wickham proceeded to try to trick Hela into marrying him so he could have access to her money.

I end this letter with the hope of having sufficiently explained everything needing to be explained. I apologize for having offended you yesterday, and I can assure you it will not happen again.

Yours Truly,

Loki

Dear sweet Jesus.

---------------------------

You left Stephen and Christine the next day. You hadn't seen Jean Grey anymore, and you were not complaining. You'd had your fill of that woman for the rest of your life, and if you never had to see her again you'd be happy.

You picked Jane up on the way home, and told her everything. She was just as shocked as you.

"Oh my God," she said.

"I know."

"So Thor thinks I was in it for the money?"

"That's what Loki told him."

She stayed quiet. You glanced at her from the corner of your eye. "How do we feel about it?"

"It sucks ass," she replied. "Though I can't blame Loki for looking out for his brother."

"It's still wrong."

"Oh, it's very wrong. But I guess his heart was in the right place."

"I was far too quick to judge," you mumbled.

"Judge who?" She asked. "Loki or Wickham?"

"Both. I dubbed Loki a snob and Wickham a saint before I even took the chance to know them better. And now that I think of all my past interactions with Wickham, I don't get why I couldn't see it from the start."

"If it makes you feel any better, I couldn't either. He puts on a good front."

"What're we gonna do about him?"

"Everyone likes him, and no one likes Loki. No one would believe us."

You sighed.