Chapter 13 - Kawaii~Chan's POV

For a lady that lived alone in an enchanted forest that was impossible to navigate, Hyria was a surprisingly good host to guests.

Perhaps Hyria had felt lonely after so much isolation and she enjoyed having someone to spend her time with. ...
Or, Kawaii ~Chan had previously thought that perhaps it was simply pity.

Hyria was well aware of KC's situation after all.
In fact Hyria had to convince KC to stay and not wrecklessly dive head first into rescuing her lover.

KC had a wrestless night the first night she had stayed. She remembers that she was quite thirsty in the morning from all of the weeping she had done and Hyria had very politely indulged her in distraction with breakfast and storytelling.

The longer KC had stayed in Hyria's care the more useless she felt to this situation. This whole thing seemed less and less real the longer it continued. She had spent that day following Hyria around as a distraction and sleeping, a lot.

To say KC was distressed was an understatement. She was more than distressed. She had fallen into hopelessness. KC had spent that day trying to figure out what to do but no matter what she came up with she circled back around and recognized that she didn't have the power it took to protect Zane from a world like this.

She would have moped around Hyria's little cottage again today if it wasn't for Hyria herself. She pestered about the fact that KC was living in her home but not helping with anything and she had her agree to a trip for ingredient hunting later that day.

Now was the time KC was supposed to leave and she honestly felt relief at escaping the little wooden box she had spent a prolonged spout of time in simply teasing her brain for answers that would never come. She slipped on some boots with ease, it's fabric had a strange plastic sort of texture to it as the inside almost seemed to be lined with satin. KC had never seen boots such as these before.

"What type of boots are these?" She inquired, glancing to Hyria who was inspecting her walking staff for whatever reason. Hyria didn't give an immediate answer as she seemed distracted by the staff but to KC it made her think Hyria may have been purposely avoiding the question.

That is until Hyria actually looked away from the item that seemed to perplex her. "They are boots of a little witch I once knew. She made them herself from Dayfire Lizard skin. The inside is a simple fabric she crafted with magic. They are fireproof boots, made to walk on even the hotest surfaces." She turned and picked up a thin, weathered old scarf, gentlely wrapping it around her head and neck.

"Could they walk in the nether? You said that it was hot there, right?" A ping of hope rustled around her soul and gave a shimmer in her eye at that. Hyria smiled but it did not seem like a very happy smile. She simply turned away without answering and opened the wooded front door, headed out. "Come now, dear."

What were the odds that the only other spare pare of shoes Hyrua had were fire shoes, it was a sign....right?

KC frowned, feeling her fur ruffle as she realized Hyria wasn't so keen on the split second idea she had. She said nothing about it even so and just followed Hyria in silence as she entered the woods and left the safety of her magically protected cottage.

KC turned for only a moment to see if the cottage was still in view and it baffled her to learn that it was nowhere to be seen even though they had only left it a moment ago. It should at least be able to peak through the trees and yet there is nothing. In it's place is a dark foggy forest of trees that all looked the same.

This took KC a moment to think, pondering how this could be before she recalled that Hyria had magic. She smiled, finding the power to camouflage her home very nifty. This feeling only lasted for so long as she realized that the footsteps of Hyria hadn't been heard for many seconds and KC turned to see that she was left alone.

"Oh great-" she remarked sarcastically, turning in circles as she looked for the woman only to leave herself all turned around and forgetting which way she was walking. "Why does this suddenly feel like a horror movie- K....kawaii Chan hates horror movies-"

A rustle suddenly happened in a bush right beside her that made her scream and begin to run, flashbacks of the timber wolves flooded her mind and made fear course through her, before she knew it her adrenaline had kicked in and she was running as fast as her legs could carry her, that was until she tripped over a protruding tree root and landed face first into a mud puddle.

The Meifwa rolled to the side as she let out a few pants and wiped the mud from her face. "Ahh...ahhh-" she whined, feeling her ankle thrum with pain. She would just lay here for a while, yeah. Who cared anyways? She was out here for less than 5 minutes and already lost and hurt.

She broke from her thoughts to hear a noise, it echoed and groaned in pain, the noise could leave goosebumps on anyones skin. She very slowly looked up in front of her to see something horrifying. A dark black mass, it had no distinct features except for its bright red eyes that shined like two gemstones. She cried out of terror as it floated closer and closer and then a sudden brust of light came from behind her and the shadow had been eliminated just like that.

The person who saved her was none other than Hyria of course. She looked back and let out a relieved sigh. "Hyria!" Her happiness soon turned to a terrified cry and she realized that was the second time she could have died in this world.

"Come now, dear. This is the second time. You need to learn to protect yourself." Hyria sighed and leaned down as she held out her hand to help KC up.

KC stopped upon hearing what Hyria said, something clicked. "Wh...Will you help me get strong like you?"