Recovery and Relationships

The first thing I notice when I wake up is the pain that throbs through my body. The second thing I notice is how dry my mouth feels. I slowly open my eyes and immediately Draco is in sight, he's asleep in a chair next to my bed. I smile at his peaceful demeanor. His hair droops in front of his face, moving with every breath he takes. It lets me forget the pain I'm in for a second. I decided against waking him and instead try to see if I can get up to get some water.

I gingerly pull myself up into a sitting position, I lower my feet onto the soft carpet.

"Get your butt back into that bed" Draco grumbles without even opening his eyes. I jump at the unexpected noise.

"I'm just grabbing some water, calm down."

"I'll get it for you, lay back down."

"I can get it myself Draco, I'm not going to break."

"Please Mia, I couldn't do anything for you there. I just had to watch as they hurt you. Please, let me do this one insignificant thing for you" the pain in his eyes is what breaks me.

"Fine but after that, you have to let me do things on my own."

He jumps up from his chair and runs from my room. Slamming the door behind him. I groan and fall back into the comfort of my bed. It takes approximately three seconds before the door swings back open. Harry and Ron stand there looking slightly terrified.

"We saw Malfoy running we weren't sure if you were awake or if something happened," Harry explains after I give them a questioning look.

"I am awake, but nothing happened. Draco just went to go get me a glass of water. He's just a tad on the dramatic side today," I reply.

"Understandable" Ron mutters quietly.

"Don't you start blaming yourself too. Draco is already trying to make up for the fact that he wasn't able to save me. It is not your fault that your family hurt me. Percy is sadistic. He did who knows what to the twins and Ginny, of course he wasn't going to hold back when it came to me. There was nothing you could have done" I huff.

"That was a lot of words very fast but I think I understand what you're saying Mione," Ron looks a bit confused.

"It was no one's fault but Percy" and mine for not being prepared but I don't voice that part.
"Ginny's awake," Harry tells me, successfully changing the subject. His eyes light up with the news.

"That's great! How is she doing?"

"She's out for blood, especially after she found out what happened to you. Even more so since Narcissa put her on bed rest for a week."

"Does she know..." I trail off as Harry's eyes darken. Being friends for so long means he usually has a pretty good idea of what I am about to say.

"Does she know that her brother made me get on my knees and beg for your safety as he tortured you? No, I left that part out of my retelling of events," Harry grinds out in anger.

"I was going to kill him," Ron says quietly "the curse was on the tip of my tongue when he apparated away. He's no brother of mine."

Draco chooses that moment to walk in holding a glass of water. He hands me my glass and I assume he didn't hear our conversation until I hear him whisper "I'll hold him down for you."

Ron nods at Draco in a show of respect before turning and leaving the room, Harry following close behind him. I turn my attention back to Draco. He's staring at me as if I might disappear. I move over on my bed and pat the space next to me. "Lay with me?"

He lies next to me and pulls me close to him. We lay there in silence, his strong arms wrapped around my waist and his face in the crook of my neck.

"I love you, Hermione Granger. I know we haven't been officially dating for long but the thought of losing you terrifies me. This is a war. I don't have time to hide my feelings anymore."

I roll over to face him and am surprised at how vulnerable he looks. "I love you too, Draco Malfoy. I love you more than I ever thought was possible. The Order planning to kill me may have been the best thing to ever happen to us."

He pulls me flush up against his chest and I kiss him. I kiss him for all the kisses we weren't able to share in the past and all the outcomes the future could hold. I kiss him because I love Draco Malfoy and nothing anyone can do will change that.

We fall asleep in each other's arms.

It's a few days later and I stand facing the practice dummy in an otherwise bare room. Stone floors and white walls. Cold and unfeeling.

I need to practice. Percy got to me way too easily. How can I expect to defend others if I can't even defend myself? I woke up at dawn and immediately stationed myself in the practice room. I've been here ever since and at this point I've lost all concept of time. It could be eight in the morning or nine at night I didn't have a clue. I figured I'd missed a meal or two but I didn't really care.

I wiped the sweat off my forehead and straightened the dummy. Learning more difficult dark magic is proving to be more difficult than I expected. I'm able to throw a few more curses before the door opens. I swing around in full fighters stance.

"Calm down Mia, It's just me" Draco holds his hands up in a sign of goodwill. I lower my wand back down to my side.

"What are you doing here?" I hold my side as I talk to him. I'm slightly out of breath which is causing a sharp pain under my ribs.

"It's time for dinner. You need to eat or you'll exhaust yourself. Especially after what happened a few days ago. You could be aggravating your injuries."

"The only thing aggravated is me. What happened a few days ago is exactly why I need more practice!"

"What you need right now is food," Draco demands.

"Just leave me alone. I'll eat later. I won't be caught off guard again." I turn back towards the dummy firing off another spell before Draco spins me around to face him.

"Don't ignore me! This is important! You don't have to be perfect all the time! You can make mistakes Hermione!"

"Get. out. Before I say something we'll both regret," I growl.

He glares at me before turning and storming out of the room, slamming the door behind.

I scream in fury as I throw a spell at the dummy. It explodes around me. Fabric and rubber fill the room.

I hear the door open and turn around to scream at Draco but instead, I find Harry and Ron looking at me. The only two people in this house that look at me without pity in their eyes.

"Percy didn't hurt you because you weren't perfect he did it because you are. You scare him which is why he chose you. If he tried to hurt one of us or Draco you would have beat him, even without your wand. You've always been the strongest member of the so-called golden trio and The Order knows it. They tried to destroy you but instead, they only made you stronger. Hermione Granger will bring the destruction of the Order and we will stand by your side while you do it." Never before had Hermione heard Ron speak so eloquently. Harry stood next to him nodding.

She walked over to the pair and threw her arms around their shoulders.

The three of them hugged as a unified force. The Order knew nothing of the force that was coming for them. A girl with an unquenchable thirst for knowledge, a boy with undying loyalty to the ones he loved, and the boy who lived and his never-ending ambition to right the wrongs of the past. Together, they were unstoppable.

Hello everyone. I know it's been awhile but the past few months have been difficult. On November 30th my great grandmother passed away. Seeing as my family and I had been living with her for the past five years it was really hard on me. She's always been a focal point in my life and losing her was hard on me and the rest of my family. I'm in a better place now where I can once again continue this story. Thank you for your patience during this difficult time. I love you all and thank you for reading(-: