Chapter 2 - Born Guilty

"You will not write, you will not draw".

"Yes".

"You will not attempt to communicate and- Keiji are you listening to me".

"Yes".

"Good, I don't want you talking to your soulmate at least until your 18".

"Honey, don't you think thats a little harsh on him".

"Do you want our son talking to a random stranger, sharing saliva with them probably in the first 5 minutes of meeting!".

Keiji frowned, looking down at his feet, his knees pulled to his chest.

This wasn't exactly how he thought the morning of his 16th birthday would go, being woken up by his parents to have the exact same thing repeated to him from every year. A warning.

"I suppose I don't". Keijis dad scratched the back of his neck.

He looked uneasy, knowing that his son would do no such thing, but it was hard in these situations.

Hatsuko Akaashi was a woman not to be disagreed with, and he wondered how his father and mother had ever been destined to be soul mates in the first place.

He agreed that they shared some of the same tendencies, but his father was more softer and lenient and it wasn't hard to tell who was the dominant in the relationship.

Keiji would never like to share the same relationship as them.

If he were to be with someone, they would both be equal in parts of giving and taking, loving each other unconditionally.

The key word being here being 'if'.

He would most likely never experience anything at this rate.

"Well, I've already talked to you about it in detail before" his mother sighed. Keiji kept his eyes on his feet, wiggling them underneath the blankets of his bed.

His body felt cold and numb with the frost hanging on the outside frames of his window.

"Come down when you're ready and we'll have a celebratory birthday breakfast before your father and I go to work" she nodded firmly towards him.

He returned the short nod and she walked out of the room.

A flood of relief broke through and Akaashis shoulders un tensed. He inhaled sharply, but quiet, feeling the need to refill his lungs with air that didn't hold such heavy tension.

"Try not to think about it, bud" his father lingered near the door.

"There's plenty of other things to focus on. Is that one of your newest paintings" his father gestured towards the other side of his room where a canvas sat.

It was a half finished piece, large bubbles trapped with so much water breaching the sides, it looked as if they were all going to simultaneously pop with force.

Akaashi often felt the need to express his frustration through paintings, something his mother could never see through.

"Oh" Akaashis eyes fell off the canvas and to his father. "Yea, I haven't worked on it in weeks though" his voice was calm and quiet.