The Beanhouse (2)

~~~

Light filtered into George's bedroom through the open blinds. He sat up slowly, rubbing his eyes. Turning his head to glance at the clock he saw that it was already past ten thirty. Gasping, he jumped out of bed and raced towards the bathroom to get ready for the day.

George looked in the mirror with dismay. The brown mop of hair on his head was a tangled mess and the bags under his eyes looked like fresh bruises. Today was a deadline day for a work project that he hadn't even started yet, and George could feel his stress levels rising by the minute.

The boy worked online as a coder and programmer. It was a great job for him because it meant he could make his own schedule and work from home if he wanted too.

George brushed his hair, styling it until he was satisfied with how it looked, then splashed his face with cold water hoping it'd help him wake up. After brushing his teeth and getting dressed, he was ready to go. He grabbed his bag and his phone and set off for the little coffee shop down the street.

The Beanhouse had quickly become George's favorite place to go to work since he moved to the city. It was tucked away behind a Starbucks so it was usually pretty empty, as not many people knew about it. They also played good music, which was always a plus. George decided to treat himself since he was tired and hadn't been to the café in a while.

He walked through the door and the smell of coffee filled his nose. The shop was completely deserted other than him and the staff.

"Hey George! I feel like it's been ages since you've been in!" The barista, Violet greeted him. "Do want your usual?"

George chuckled at the familiarity. "Oh my God, definitely! You're the best, Vi."

"Anything for my favorite customer," She smiled.

"Well technically, right now I'm your only customer so I am your favorite by default," George pointed out.

"Well using that logic then you're also my least favorite," Violet rolled her eyes. "Shoo, go sit and work and I'll bring it out to you."

"Thanks!" George said and he made his way over to his favorite spot. He settled into the booth by the window and pulled his laptop out of his bag.

An online retail store had asked George to fix the design of their website. Thankfully, this was an easy task. "I could probably finish in an hour, actually" George mumbled to himself happily.

"Your order is served," Violet declared, distracting George from him thoughts. She set down a plate of warm banana bread and a steaming vanilla latte.

"Ah, perfect. Thank you!" George replied, his mouth watering at the sight of his food.

"Let me know if you need anything, I'll be in the back."

"Will do," George responded around a mouthful of banana bread.

About an hour and a half passed and George was done with his work. For once he was actually proud of how it looked. He smiled as he submitted the website to the company for review.

George opened twitter on his laptop, aimlessly browsing his timeline and mentions when he heard a familiar voice calling his name.

He looked up in surprise and saw Clay standing in front of him, smiling.