From Behind the Curtain (9)

~~~

     "Hey, give me the plate back!" George desperately reached across the booth. "We're supposed to be sharing the banana bread."

      "Exactly, sharing. I've had like one bite and it's almost gone!" Clay pointed out while lifting it higher into the air. He chuckled as George pouted and continued struggling for the plate.

     The Beanhouse was busier than usual, customers spread sporadically throughout the café. The thick, intoxicating, scent of coffee swirled through the air. Finally Clay relented and set the plate down in the middle of the table.

     "I win." George grinned triumphantly as he snatched the rest of the loaf, shoving it into his mouth.

     "Yeah only because I let you," Clay's smile faded abruptly. "Look, about last night, I just wanted to apologize if it made you uncomfortable. My mom jokes around a lot but I know it can be weird sometimes, especially since you just met her."

     "Clay you don't need to apologize. It's fine, I know she was just joking."

     "But it's not fine," He looked nervous suddenly. "I've told her to tone it down before but she does it with everyone I've introduced her to since I-" Clay clamped his mouth shut and forced himself to stop talking.

     "Since you what?" George looked at him, curiosity pooling in his eyes.

     "Don't worry about it, it's not important."

"Right, sure it's not." He sipped his coffee, shooting Clay a skeptical look over the rim of his mug. "You know, you're a bad liar."

Clay made a face at him. "Whatever. Let's just change the subject."

"So you admit you're lying?"

"George, stop! Just let it go!"

"Why can't you just tell me what you were gonna say?" He questioned, a perplex expression clouding his features.

"Just stop." Clay's fists were clenched tightly, his turning knuckles white. "I said it doesn't matter."

"Then I don't understand why you won't tell me-"

"Fine!" Clay barked out a harsh laugh.
He shook his head and pressed his lips into a firm line. "You really want to know? Ever since I came out as bisexual."

George froze, his mouth agape. The cup he'd been holding slipped out of his grasp and shattered onto the floor. Hot coffee scorched his skin and stained his jeans. He opened and closed his mouth, searching for the right words to say.

"There, happy now?" Clay's voice was edged with anger but his eyes looked shocked, swimming with fear. He stood suddenly and made his way to the back of the café.

Confusion flooded George's mind. What just happened? The question repeated helplessly through his head like a broken record. He stared blankly at the wall in front of him before glancing down and noticing the puddle of coffee in his lap. George hissed sharply, just registering the pain.

"George?"

He snapped his head up in the direction of the voice. Violet was perched in front of him, her face tinged with concern. She sighed as she noticed the hollow expression covering his features. "Is everything okay?"

His eyes lingered on the ruined mug lying in pieces on the ground. George nodded curtly, words still trapped in his chest. Coffee slowly dripped down his leg, landing in a puddle at his feet.