The Hardest Part (13)

~~~

The tinkling chime of bells sounded from above as the door to The Beanhouse swung open. Inside was quiet, aside from the gentle whir of an espresso machine and the soft music playing overhead.

George took a deep breath, inhaling the rich scent of coffee. He frowned as he realized Violet wasn't in her usual place behind the counter before suddenly remembering it was her day off.

"I can't believe this is my last time here," Clay scanned his eyes over the familiar brick walls while him and George approached the front to order. "I'm really gonna miss this place."

"Don't say that." George's frown deepened. He pulled out his wallet and ordered his usual, eyebrows still creased together. "I don't want to think about you leaving yet."

     A heavy sense of dread was steadily building in his stomach. Clay's time left in England was ticking away, each passing second bringing the departure of his plane closer. George checked the time anxiously and slid into his side of the booth, noting that there was less than an hour until they had to leave for the airport.

     "Aww, George, are you going to miss me?"

     He narrowed his eyes in Clay's direction before yawning and turning his attention out the window. People were quickly rushing by on their way to work, blissfully unaware of the storm of emotions circling inside him. "Maybe."

     A poorly masked sad expression still tugged at George's lips, pulling them downwards. Clay's eyes softened and he sat down next to him, setting the plate of banana bread between them. "It's okay," He placed a hand on George's arm. "I'm going to miss you too."

     "Whatever." He rolled his eyes and swatted Clay's hand away. "Go sit on your side of the bench."

With a small scoff, Clay wrapped an arm around his torso. "You're such an idiot sometimes." He leaned closer to press a small kiss to his temple but George squirmed away from him, eyes combing over the deserted café.

"Relax, there's no one here." Clay gestured to the empty tables filling the room. An amused smile formed on his face as he saw the pale pink dusting George's cheeks.

"It's just embarrassing when you do that in front of other people."

"You didn't seem to think that last night after dinner." Clay laughed, remembering how George had kissed him under the streetlight the night before.

"Oh my God, stop it!" He stared at the spiral patterns lining the wooden table, his face darkening. "That sounds weird."

"How does that sound weird?" He laughed harder at George's flushed face. Clay pointed towards the nearby tables and popped a piece of banana bread in his mouth. "It's not like there's anyone here to look at you."

"Still," George murmured, trying to use his mug of coffee to obscure the view of his face. He scooted away until his side was pressed against the window. "It's weird."

"What, this?" Clay pecked his cheek lightly, suppressing a grin as George squeaked in surprise.

His eyes widened and he continued focusing on the table, heart picking up speed in his chest. George couldn't help but move closer, shyly turning his face to gaze at Clay. He released a small giggle as he felt a light touch graze his cheek.