Never Let Me Go (15)

~~~

     The wooden floorboards creaked below Violet's feet as she shifted her weight from one foot to the other. She moved the phone up to her ear, biting her lip anxiously.

"George?" Clay's broken voice crackled through the speakers, the volume barely above a whisper. "I didn't think you'd answer me-"

"He didn't," She cleared her throat, interrupting him. "It's Violet."

Clay inhaled sharply through his nose in surprise. "Oh," He swallowed the lump in his throat. "Is he okay?"

Fierce anger ignited in her chest, heat creeping into her voice. "Excuse me?'" She sputtered. "No, he's not okay. What the hell did you do to him?"

"I'm such an idiot," He muttered, pinching the bridge of his nose tightly. "I didn't mean it."

"Yeah you are an idiot. What did you say?"

"I didn't mean it," Clay echoed. His voice was small as if he was trying to reassure himself with the words. "I didn't mean to hurt him."

"Tell me what you said or I'm hanging up and deleting your number off his phone." Violet said firmly. Her fists were clenched tightly around the device, knuckles turning white.

"Wait, don't!" He pleaded desperately. "I... I said I wished that I hadn't taken his suitcase by mistake." His words were uneven, heavy with shame and regret.

"What?" She shouted into the device. "Oh my God, you really are stupid! What is wrong with you?"

Clay was didn't respond. He was quiet, save for the sound of his ragged breaths and incoherent mumbling.

Violet shook her head coldly. "You clearly have no idea how much he cares about you. I know he told you about his father. You know what he went through and you're still treating him like this?" She spat the words out harshly, her tone full of disbelief and rage.

"I know, I messed up so badly. I'm so sorry-"

"You can't just apologize and expect the problem to disappear. Besides I'm not even the one you should be saying sorry to." Violet's lips were pursed tightly. "You're breaking him, Clay, and you're leaving me to pick up the pieces. There's only so many times you can glue them back together again before it becomes impossible to fix."

"I know. Please, I need to talk to him," Clay begged, his words blending together in his haste to get them out. "I need to explain everything. He needs to know that I didn't mean it."

"No, Clay." She refused. "You don't know what he needs. George always gets attached to the people he opens up to. He trusted you enough to let you in and you're walking all over him." Violet was fuming, her tone an unforgiving mix of fire and ice. "The last thing he needs is another person to manipulate him, he's been through enough already."

     Guilt burned Clay's stomach as he tried to process her words. He flinched, remembering how violently George had shook when he tried to speak about his father. Faded scars still marked his body, a cruel reminder of his past. Painful regret cycled through Clay, consuming his every thought.

     "I messed up. George means everything to me, I need to talk to him," His words were still rushed, almost indecipherable because of his panicked state. "Please, I can't lose him."