More Than a Name (8)

~~~

George shot upright, gasping. He squinted as sunlight flooded his vision and ran a hand through his disheveled hair. Fleeting thoughts of what he'd been dreaming of ran through his mind, the details just out of reach. Every time George almost grasped a piece it slipped away before he could fully process it.

     He turned his head cautiously to check if he'd woken Clay but noted with surprise that the other side of the bed was empty. George stretched out his hand to feel it. The sheets were cold beneath his fingertips. Clay had likely been gone for hours.

     With a heavy sigh George rolled over and haphazardly threw an arm out to grab his phone. His motions sent a small square of paper fluttering to the floor. Device forgotten, he threw off the covers and reached for it.

     George, I went to help Layla with something. I'll be at her house until five but text me when you wake up.
     -Clay :)

     He felt an involuntary smile forming on his face as he read the note. George felt around for his phone clumsily before picking it up and going to his contacts. The urge to call his friend rose in his stomach. He tried to rationalize it, writing it off as a matter of convenience. George hesitantly pressed the call button and raised the phone to his ear.

     The phone rang once before Clay picked up. "George!" He exclaimed happily. "Wait, did you just wake up? It's almost noon."

     "No," George yawned. "I've been up for ages."

     Clay scoffed. "Right," He said, disbelief evident in his voice. "Why didn't you say anything earlier then?"

     George could practically feel him smirking. "Well-" He started but he was cut off by Clay.

     "Shut up, Layla." He groaned. "Sorry, just ignore her. She's being annoying."

     If George strained his ears he could faintly make out the sound of laughter in the background. "What'd she say?" He asked but he was met with silence from the other line.

     Suddenly Layla's voice chirped into the phone. "Hey, George!" She greeted brightly. Loud shouting could be heard from behind her. "Ugh, fine, I'll put him on speaker. I just wanted to say hello too."

     "You've said your hello, now give me my phone." Clay demanded. "He's my friend, not yours."

     Heat grew in George's cheeks at his words. He was thankful that neither Clay nor Layla could see him.

"Actually him and I are best friends now," She argued. "Right, George?"

He grinned and decided to play along, knowing it would annoy Clay. "Yeah, definitely."

"Fine. I'll just leave so you two can talk," He grumbled.

"Wait!" George stopped him. "I was just joking, I don't want you to leave." His voice was barely above a whisper as he spoke.

Clay smiled. "I know." He wrestled his phone out of Layla's grasp, ignoring her protests and taking George off of speakerphone. "You're such an idiot."

"That's ironic coming from you," He countered. "So you're really at Layla's all day?"

"Unfortunately, yeah. Sorry."

George felt a twinge of disappointment in his stomach. As much as he tried to avoid thinking about it, he knew that every passing day brought the end of Clay's trip nearer. He hated that there were already less than two weeks left. "It's okay."