Take a Deep Breath (10)

~~~

     A loud knock echoed through the quiet hallway of George's flat. "Clay?" He asked while rapping his fist against the door lightly. "You've been in there for ages, hurry up."

     "You can come in."

     George hesitantly opened the door and peeked his head in. He saw Clay looking in the mirror, carefully adjusting his tie. His breath hitched in his throat, lips twitching upwards in a small smile. George had never seen Clay in a suit.

     The black material of the suit jacket made the green of Clay's eyes stand out even more than usual. "What?" He grinned at George's reflection in the mirror.

     "Oh, nothing," He shook his head in an attempt to clear it. "We should probably leave soon or we'll be late."

     "Relax, it's only the rehearsal dinner."

     "Says the one who just spent the last thirty minutes in the bathroom getting ready."

     Clay rolled his eyes and turned around to face George. "Shut up, idiot." He brushed past him and out the door. "Come on, let's go."

     "One minute," George mumbled as he glanced in the mirror. His navy blue suit made him feel slightly out of place, so drastically different from his daily attire. He popped the jacket collar just as Clay stuck his head back in the bathroom.

     "You coming?"

     George nodded and bit his lip, still scrutinizing his reflection. He frowned at how tired his eyes looked.

     "You look fine," Clay reassured him with a chuckle. "Now let's go, or we seriously will be late."

     Shadows grew outside in the dwindling daylight as the suns copper hues gave way to a dusty purple. The two boys stood on the pavement waiting for the taxi to arrive.

     "I can't believe my sister is getting married tomorrow," Clay said as he sat on the torn seat. "It's crazy, this trip has gone by so fast."

     "I know," George agreed wistfully. "It feels like it's only been a couple days. I have no idea how it's almost been three weeks."

     Clay released a heavy sigh. "I wish I could stay for just a little longer."

     "Yeah, me too."

George felt the crushing weight of disappointment press against his chest. It was inescapable. As hard as he'd tried to avoid thinking about the topic, George couldn't delay the inevitable. His eyebrows knit together into a frown.

Even in the fading light, Clay could see his change in expression. "Don't worry George, you still have to put up with me for the next couple of days."

He let out a halfhearted laugh. "Yeah, I guess so."

The taxi slowly rolled to a stop outside the venue. Layla was stood in a loose white gown greeting the incoming guests, a radiant smile shining on her face. As soon as she saw Clay and George get out of the car she ran over to them and wrapped them both in a firm hug.

"You made it!" She exclaimed cheerfully. "I'm so glad you're here, George."

"I think you're forgetting about someone."

"How could I forget about my little baby brother?" Layla teased, ruffling Clay's hair. He made a face and immediately pulled away from her. "You two head inside, I'll find you guys later."

George's eyes wandered around the room as they stepped in the door. He instantly recognized the flowers that lined the walls. They were the same ones Clay had brought him almost two weeks ago after the meeting with Layla's florist. The realization brought a small smile to his face.