12.5 (Side Story)

A few days after the events of the sudden earthquake, everything slowly went back to normal. Just as mysteriously as it occurred, it also subsided not long after.

"Is the boat fixed yet?"

"No, sir. The damage still hasn't fully-..."

"Then, let's go with another boat."

"But, sir... there is no other boat. Every boat in the docks received severe damage and requires time to-..."

"Forget it, I'll go buy a new one."

"S-sir. If you don't mind me asking... why are you in such a hurry for a boat?"

"Did you not see the size of that croc the other day? It could set a mark for the history books! We need to find it immediately before it gets away!"

Talks of a large crocodile being sighted moments before the quake spread remarkably fast. There were even witnesses who claimed to not have just seen it, but also saved by it. A young girl especially. Many people say they saw the crocodile prioritize the young girl named Angel over anyone else. They also say that they witnessed her riding it. Whatever the case, the unprecedented events all ended when they saw the crocodile getting caught up in a blast of water that suddenly exploded out of a whirlpool. Everything that transpired is heavily related to the crocodile in one way or another.

Strangely, all seismic activities immediately after the incident went back in the green and no abnormalities were later detected. No long-running aftermaths, no fatal deaths (only injuries), and not even a sign that it would happen all of a sudden. Seismographers were left with their heads scratching, trying to solve this mystery quake that caused such a phenomenon. In the next decade, it will remain unsolved. As for the pier, well... no unstable fissures were found under the ocean bed, so constructions can be made without any unwanted problems. And, as for the girl who was said to be saved by the mystery croc, she moved to another country with her family, so they're no longer in Australia. Which is unfortunate. I'd love to hear more about what she really experienced in her own words. It would've made a fine headline.

==========================
(Several years later; somewhere not in Australia)
==========================

"Mom, I'm going to my friend's house. Be back later!"

"Dinner's at five, don't be late."

"I won't~!"

The girl leaves her house and runs across the neighborhood. A flock of small birds fly after her.

"Oh, hey. Did you come to see me off?"

The girl slows down and stops running, lifting a finger in the air while walking slowly. The oldest of the birds perch on her finger and the girl strokes down the bird's sleek feathers on the head.

"Heh heh.. you always did kept following me ever since we met, huh."

The bird only stares and jerks its head around every few seconds like every other bird who jerks their head around every few seconds.

"I wonder if you can even understand me."

"Hey, Angel! Get over here already! You're the only one missing out!"

"Alright, alright! I'm coming!"

A twin-tailed girl on top of a window just a block away said, waving her hand. Angel waves back.

"If only I have your wings, I could fly over there in a second."

The bird chirps in response and flies back to its flock. Angel walks past a block and joins her friends.