Chapter 20

Kimberly and Ian returned to the cabin holding hands. She couldn't hide the blush on her face because Ian kept teasing her on their way back to the cabin.

"I can see you two got at it!" Leo teased with a mischievous smirk on his face.

"You were welcome to join us if you missed us so badly." Ian teased back.

"Damn, that would've been so much fun!" Amber gave him a light punch on the arm at his reply.

"Ouch. You know that was only a joke," he grumbled as Simon and Ian laughed at him.

"We were about to go fishing. Would you guys join us?" Amber asked changing the subject.

"Sure," Ian replied.

"What are we supposed to do with a raw fish out here?" Kimberly asked.

"Eat it, duh... Haven't you heard of sushi before?" Amber smiled at the weird face Kimberly was making.

"That's gross!" She exclaimed because she hated sushi.

"You don't have to eat it if you don't want to," Ian said.

"I can't believe this. You too?!... Don't even think of kissing me after eating that."

"You're in serious trouble, brother!" Simon hinted.

"You know I can't get enough of your lips." Kimberly rolled her eyes at Ian's attempt to seduce her into accepting such a... Ew, she can't even think about it because the mere thought could make her puke.

"C'mon Kim quit acting like a six-year-old. It's not that bad." She glared at Simon for calling her a six-year-old.

A gasp escaped her lips when she suddenly realized something, she hadn't given her dad a call since she got here. She had promised to call him every day. She was instantly filled with guilt for being this careless with a promise. At least a call to let him know that she was okay would've been responsible.

"Hey," she felt someone lightly nudge her.

"Um, sorry... I promised to give my dad a call when we got here and, I need to do that now. I'll get changed while at it." she explained, giving Ian a quick kiss and hurried into the cabin.

The minute she got into the bedroom, she reached for her phone on the bed and wasted no time dialing her dad's number but to her disappointment, she couldn't get a signal on her phone.

'Not now, not now!' she repeated in her head.

"Fuck! Come on signal, I need you right now." cursing wasn't her thing but at the moment she couldn't care less, all she needed was to talk to her dad.

Just two days away from him felt like years. She angrily threw her phone on the bed when all her efforts to get a signal proved abortive, she went to the dresser to get something to wear. She grabbed a simple tank top and denim shorts since they were going fishing, there was no need to be dressed.

Kimberly was putting on her clothes when she heard screams coming from outside. She stopped what she was doing to make out what was going on but couldn't, and then suddenly, she heard growls. That sounded nothing close to a human sound, she thought to herself. So she quickly got dressed and headed downstairs. The whole place suddenly became quiet, that was weird. Just minutes ago she thought she heard terrifying screams and growls.

Was this some kind of joke? She wondered.

"Ian?" She nervously called from the living room, frightened to go outside the cabin.

"Guys?..."

Taking nervous steps, she opened the front door and beheld the most gruesome sight of her life. Kimberly gazed in horror at the dead bodies of her fiance and friends.

'This can't be true, they were all chatting just a while ago. 'This isn't real' she thought in disbelief as uncontrollable tears rolled down her face.

A low growl got her attention as she stared wide eyes at a really large dog that was staring back at her. She tore her eyes away from its intense gaze and noticed another one tearing the body of one of her friends. Kimberly did the next thing she could think of which was to run. She ran as fast as her legs could carry her, she had no idea where she was going, but she knew she needed to run away because she didn't want to be a dog's meal.

'Are those even real dogs?' she wondered quickly looking behind her.

She noticed the dogs chasing after her, they were three.

'God, what kind of place is this? Anybody, please help me' she mentally prayed.

They were soon gaining in on her and she couldn't even see where she was going because the bushes were thick. She can't let them kill her now after coming this far. This wasn't a time for weakness, her life was more important, she encouraged herself and just then, she noticed a building ahead of her as she ran into a clearing.

'If only she could make it to the building ahead of her without getting killed.'

Suddenly, she felt like she was no longer being chased. She turned around to make sure and to her surprise the dogs weren't chasing her. They stopped just before the clearing and were growling but didn't dare move an inch from their present spot.

Kimberly didn't wait to see what would happen next, she ran towards the building. It was a beautiful two-story house and not an abandoned building to her relief. She tried the knob and it was unlocked to her relief. She quickly got inside, not bothering to knock on the door, and locked it as quickly as she shut it behind her.

She slid down the wall because her legs were tired from running and tried catching her breath as she was still trembling in fear but failed miserably, breaking down in tears instead. She hugged her knees while sobbing, finding it quite difficult to breathe.

Her dad was right all along, the woods was indeed a dangerous place and she had come to realize that the hard way. She should never have listened to Ian, now he's gone.

How is she supposed to start her life all over again without him?

"Ian, come back to me... Please." she sobbed, curling herself like a ball with her eyes slowly dropping as she fell into unconsciousness.

OMG! What just happened?😮
I can't believe Ian is dead
😭😭😭😭😭😭
Forgive me guys, it just happened