+8+

"If the sun refused to shine
I'd still be loving you"
-Thank You, Led Zeppelin

*Jimmy has Hailey listen to a song from his career as a session guitarist, only for Hailey's reaction to be trying to convince Jimmy can sing.*

Hailey was sitting and drawing while listening to music on her record player again. She had decided to draw something psychedelic, since she found psychedelia fascinating. Some of her favorite album covers were psychedelic, and she enjoyed looking at them. See Emily Play was playing on her record player, and it helped give Hailey some inspiration for her drawing. As she looked at her progress, Hailey saw a girl in a long black-and-gold dress standing by a lake. The sky was full of vibrant and psychedelic colors. The girl's hair was long and wavy; black with some hints of silver. Hailey was about to add some finishing touches to her drawing when she heard the door open.

Jimmy was standing in the doorway, holding a record.

"Hey." Hailey said, smiling. "I've just been finishing up this drawing. What do you think?"

Hailey showed Jimmy the drawing, and he seemed impressed.

"I really like it." He said, smiling. "You're incredibly talented, in all honesty."

Hailey's attention was then drawn to the record in Jimmy's hand.

"What's that?" She asked.

Jimmy glanced at the record. "Remember when you were trying to tell me that I can sing?"

Hailey nodded.

"Well, this is She Just Satisfies." Jimmy said, holding up the record. "Sang on it. Played all the instruments except the drums. One of my friends played the drums in the song."

Jimmy headed over to the bed, placing the record on it next to Hailey.

"You wanted to listen to it, remember?"

Hailey nodded again. "I'll gladly give it a listen right now."

Jimmy sighed. "Honestly, She Just Satisfies is better forgotten." He said. "I was a pretty good harmonica player back when I was a session guitarist. I played harmonica on a few songs by other people."

Hailey eyed the record, before looking up at Jimmy with sudden interest in her eyes.

"Do you still have a harmonica?"

Jimmy nodded. "Besides harmonica, I played tambourine." He then said. "When the Kinks were new and were working on their first album, I played tambourine on it. I guess I can be considered multitalented."

Then, Jimmy glanced at the turntable. "So...are you going to listen to it?"

Hailey turned off See Emily Play and took out the record, before taking She Just Satisfies and getting it set up. It wasn't long before she heard guitar, and then there was singing. Jimmy's singing.

"Hey, she just satisfies.
Hey, you know she satisfies,
So good.

And every evening when I go round
She's at the door, oh.
She makes me feel so good
The way she loves me so.
So good."

A smile started forming on Hailey's face as she continued listening. Jimmy didn't look exactly happy, though. Instead, he looked like he was trying not to cringe at the sound of him actually singing.

"So buddy you better stay real far away,
'Cause she's my baby,
You better hear what I say.
Oh yeah.
Hey, she just satisfies.
Hey, you know she satisfies,
So good."

Eventually, Hailey was able to hear Jimmy doing a harmonica solo, and she found herself really liking the song. When it finished, she looked up at Jimmy, who had a nervous smile on his face.

"Why do you look so uncomfortable?" Hailey asked.

"I really hate listening to that damn song." Jimmy then answered. "I don't like hearing me sing, and, it's just—"

"Stop saying that." Hailey said, cutting off Jimmy. "This was actually really good. Your singing voice is perfect! That harmonica solo was amazing."

Jimmy seemed shocked. "Wait, you actually...like it?"

Hailey nodded. "Not only do I like it, I love it!"

Jimmy seemed flattered now. "You better be joking." He said. "Please tell me you're joking."

"I'm not joking." Hailey answered. "I'm being serious."

"I can't fucking sing, Hailey. A throat infection prevented me from being able to sing." Jimmy said. "I have a fragile immune system. I fall ill frequently."

Hailey looked up at Jimmy with an expression that showed she didn't believe a single word he said.

"You can sing, Jimmy." She said. "You need to give yourself more credit and stop being so hard on yourself. You can sing a heck of a lot better than me."

Jimmy rolled his eyes, and Hailey could tell he was trying to fight off a smile.

"Don't give me that shit." He said. "You sing a hell of a lot better than me, Hailey."

Hailey took a deep breath. "You're going to tell me that you can sing. Right now."

Jimmy began looking embarrassed. "No, I'm not."

"Do it."

"Come on, Hailey. You're just being too nice."

Hailey smirked. "How about I keep playing She Just Satisfies until you admit you can sing?"

Jimmy looked scared for a few moments, and then he covered his face.

"Okay, fine." He said, hands still hiding his face. "I can sing."

"Say it to me without hiding your face."

Jimmy stopped hiding his face and looked at Hailey. "Fine. I can sing."

"Sound more confident."

Jimmy took a deep breath. "I can sing." He said, trying to sound a little confident.

"Better." Hailey said. "Now, listen. I don't want you underestimating yourself anymore. Got it?"

A small smile formed on Jimmy's face. "Alright."

"Good." Hailey said. "See? You're smiling now."

Jimmy took the record and looked at Hailey, his smile growing.

"I guess I really can sing, for real."

No Quarter: The Three Lives of Jimmy Page has honestly turned out to be useful. I am learning things from it 😔😔👌👌👌