24. Not a Monster

I get a bad reputation for killing.

Yes, I do kill. Mostly to feed myself. However, I do sometimes have to do the bidding of Hades. I'm gentle. I don't want to kill but being the creature that I am, I don't get a say. Otherwise I'd live peacefully. Or as peacefully as I can anyways. Eating smaller creatures, like fish or maybe the odd whale. Other living creatures aren't as good.

People mostly are too chewy and don't taste good. Merpeople are the same, yeah, they have a slightly saltier taste but still too chewy for my liking. I don't get why people keep trying to sacrifice humans to me.

Give me a good hefty pig or cow, I'd be alright with that. I hate when I am summoned by his Lordship to destroy a ship because of the black spot. The one cursed mark that pirates and humans alike are so scared to get when they don't get what they promised for him.

Then I get the reputation of a lapdog and pet because I do what he asks. I'd roll my eyes but it takes too much effort.

I tried once to ignore his summons. Then he came and cut off a tentacle. It was supposed to teach me to always obey him when he calls upon my services. Sure, he may not call me all the time but its enough that it is annoying. Peace is such a wonderful idea, yet so few know how to follow through with it. If I was any other sea creature I could live in peace and just go about my business freely.

Free will is not something I, the Kraken, get sadly. Other then what I want to eat when not summoned.

I enjoy swimming in the dark at the bottom of the oceans. It's less crowded and serene. Its so dark and soothing to me. I settle into the sand and enjoy the vibrations of the earth around me. It brings me joy, in a joyless job that I've been tasked. I will take it when I can.

I really want people to know I'm not bad. I have feelings like everything and everyone else. Some things are just forgotten or better left not thought of sadly. One of these days they will find out that I am not a monster.

I am not a monster. I'm just misunderstood.