35. Mated at Last

"Hey mom, did you see that on the side of the road?" I ask her noticing the creature as we drove by.

"See what?" My mom asks giving a side glance.

"It was blue and had shiny skin. It looked massive." I ask looking back to see if it was still there. We moved to fast so I can't see it anymore. I look in the side view mirror.

"If you say so, but I didn't see it." She says scanning the road. I wonder what that was. It really caught my eye.

~

I glance after that car. It can't be, its been so long. I never thought I'd find her. Mate.

~

Another night with an empty house. I guess It could be worse. Why is someone knocking on the door at 6 pm. Ugh its only 6. I open the door and an attractive male with deep blue hair and light blue eyes is standing there.

"Can I help you?" I ask, confused by why he is standing at my door.

"Are you Gail Rivers?" He asks in a deeper voice then I thought hed have. Its a voice that easily draws you in.

"And if I am, how can I help you?" I ask again.

"You're my mate, my betrothed and intended. I felt your presence earlier this day in a vehicle that sped past where I had been resting." He says in a husky voice, bordering on a growl.

"Look I just turned 18, I don't know you. I cannot be your mate. I am sorry you wasted your time." I say. His hair colour reminds me of the colour of the thing I saw this morning.

Whatever it was I didn't see it long enough to know what it was.

"You are my mate. I am of a long line of Pure-blooded Dragons. We can change into our human forms only when we find out mate. The only reason I'm able to tell you this is because of that shift. You're the one intended for me Gail. If you will only give me some of your time to prove it to you." He says.

None of this makes any sense. Dragons haven't been seen in our land for centuries. They left and went to other lands. Why would this lone man say he's one and that I'm his? What sort of game is he trying to play?

"How exactly could you prove all of this. Its very hard to believe you have to understand that." I say to him. I want to believe what hes saying but its just to out there.

"Come with me then and I can try to explain." He says with a smile. I know I should be weary of him and stay home but I am drawn to him in a way I cannot explain.

I nod. I grab my bag and keys, lock the door and walk to the sidewalk with him. I really shouldn't be leaving my home with someone who I don't know like this. It could be a trap and yet here I am walking with him anyways. He looks harmless enough, even if he says hes a dragon it seems far fetched.

But I have to admit there's a pull that I never felt before that draws me to him. Its weird, that's for sure. We walk for a while to a park thats empty. I sit in one of the swings. He leans against the metal pole thats holding the swings. He smiles lightly and its an amazing smile.

He looks around checking if anyone else is here. He relaxing knowing no one else is out at the moment or near here. Slowly he changes into his true form. His scales are the same colour blue as his hair. But his scales shimmer with this deep mesmerizing quality to them. Like his eyes but lighter. Claws, scales and a spiked spine. Never thought I'd ever get to see a dragon up close. One that looks like it could hide in the night sky.

He's magnificent. This is something no one would believe even if I went blue in the face. I walk up to him and place a hand on one of his scales. I close my eyes enjoying the cool sensation of his scale. He smells of the sea and lavender. Its soothing and calming. I open my eyes as his scales shift under my hand.

I step back and he's back in his human form. He's smiling at me.

"Well I never expected that." I say softly to him.

"I know. But that's why I wanted to show you so you'd understand I wasn't lying about what I am. I am a dragon. So please when I say that you are my mate, I'm not making that up. It gave me reason again to keep fighting and not move on from this land." He says leaning against the pole again.

"Well its still hard to believe that I'm your mate out of all the people who live here." I say scared slightly that hes mistaken.

"I'm completely sure." He says as he holds his hand out to me. I take his hand in mine and there's a rush of wind around us. His scent is wrapped around us. It is nice. I can almost feel his heart beat.

As the wind dies down and takes his hand away, I feel empty. I look at him curiously. This is an odd feeling.

"You felt that connection as it happened and feel empty now that its gone, don't you?" He asks. I nod as he smiles. "You see now how I feel. Without my mate I felt that emptiness. Now I feel whole with you. When you accept that, you will feel whole and feel connected to me as well." He explains.

"Oh." Is all I could say. How can I just accept this? How can he be my mate with barely knowing him? My heart leaps slightly as I look at him. I breath deeply. I do pull to him.