11。𝓚. 𝓣𝓪𝓷𝓳𝓲𝓻𝓸𝓾

Requested by: daaph_nee

Request: Requestttt :D Um um a Tanjiro x Reader (Fluff, but a bit angst) please, the reader has Hanahaki deasease and tells Shinobu, and Shinobu tells Tanjiro and he confronts the reader about it! :3

Since none of the Hanahaki fics I've read before has happy endings, I just couldn't make it that fluff (・・;

~

It all started on the day that you coughed up flower petals, specifically ones that went from black to red. When it happened, you were confused and scared. Should you be worried? Should you tell someone about it? But you have never heard of it happening to anyone else. What if they heard what you said and found you delusional?

This issue has been kept a secret for a few weeks, up until only last week when it got excruciatingly painful did you tell the insect pillar about it.

"You coughed up what?" when Shinobu first heard the words that came out from your mouth, her eyes immediately widened. The reason you told her was because you thought she would have some kind of knowledge about this. Of course, her actions implied that she was clueless and hearing about this was a first for her, leaving you disappointed and hopeless.

"I'll try to find out what this is and maybe get an antidote. In the meantime, you should get as much rest as you can," Placing her hands on your back, she led you into the butterfly estate, encouraging you to stay there for the time being. In just a few days, she got the gist of this illness and obtained petals that you coughed up as samples. When she explained to you how it only happens because of unrequited love, your thoughts immediately went to one person, Tanjirou.

"Who is it?"

"What?"

"Who is it? I can only find ways to help you if I know who it is," Shinobu has said that in such a sympathetic tone thst you had almodt told her. But no, you didn't dare. Just thinking about how she might laugh at you, or how she might tell Tanjirou about it made you all pale and nauseous. You didn't want that to be the way Tanjirou finds out about your attraction to him, you also didn't want that to be the way you get rejected.

Rejected... just the word makes your heart clench

"Well... I know it is tough to tell me but keeping silent won't help. You can tell me whenever you are ready to, okay?" At least Shinobu was very thoughtful about it.

"Tanjirou... It's Tanjirou..." You confessed due to the sudden overwhelming trust you had in her. To your relief, she did not give sny comments but only nodded with a small smile. In the course of the next few days, everyone came to visit you since Shinobu said you felt sick.

Everytime Tanjirou stepped into the room, it just felt different. His smile radiates so much that it made you so happy. "Are you feeling better?" He would ask this daily and you could only lie through your teeth.

However, everything got worse. Accompanying the petals you coughed up was blood. "(F. Name), you need to either confess or undergo a certain procedure. But along with the pain, your feelings for him would supposedly disappear as well. You need to decide now or if it worsens, you will surely die!" Knowing that you might die, Shinobu was unable to keep her cool any longer.

Death. It was scary just thinking about it. You did not want to go like this, at least let him know how you feel... The next few hours were spent in absolute silence as you contemplated what to do and there he was. After a few knocks on the door, it opened and Tanjirou peeked in, looking for signs of you. After spotting you on the bed, he walked in and his usual smile grew brighter.

"(F. Name)! How are you today?" He gently sat beside the bed and your eyes wandered around.

"Actually... I have something to tell you," Your voice became softer and softer that you were almost inaudible. Tanjirou only nodded and he moved a little closer as a gesture that he was willing to listen.

"This... this illness, it's because of... me having feelings for some..someone, and I just have to say it because I can't take it anymore," Feeling your hands slightly trembling, you clenched your fists tightly. Tears welled up in your eyes and threatened to fall any seconds, you could feel just how increasingly hard to breathe. Taking a deep breath, you tried hard to not cough up petals in front of Tanjirou. Unable to speak, you could only point at him with a trembling finger.

"M..me?" He pointed at himself and you nodded, breath growing shallower as each second passes. "I... like you too.."

"Oh, there's no need to-" You immediately waved your hands non-stop, wishing that he did not say it just because he felt obliged to. You still had to admit that you got a little flustered and a slight hope was gained.

"No..." He shaked his head a little, the corners of his lips lifted a little. He slowly leaned in and before you could register anything, his lips found yours.

In that instant, your eyes widened. Petals felt like they were everywhere yet in reality, they were slowly disappearing in your lungs. Your pale face sloaly regained colours. For the first time, everything felt so light. It was only a couple of seconds before he pulled back yet his warmth was so deeply engraved in your mind.

"I'll leave first then.. please rest well (F. Name)!" He immediately shuffled out of the room and you were beyond relieved. He surely likes you... Otherwise, there was no way he was willing to kiss you... right? Lifting your fingers up to feel your lips, a smile found its way to your face. The nostalgia of being so relaxed, of being able to breathe so easily again.

On the other side of the door, Tanjirou slowly walked away. His heart ached as he knew. He knew what that disease could eventually do to you since Shinobu was too worried and told him. How you liked him, how you would die unless you confess or got a procedure. Knowing you, you would never take that procedure yet he couldn't let you die. Thankfully, you had confessed and thankfully, he was able to convice you that he liked you back. He knew words wouldn't cut it... only actions could. He might not like you that way, but he had to make this sacrifice to save you. His precious, precious friend.

Word count:1061

♡ 18.01.20 ♡