21。𝓘. 𝓞𝓫𝓪𝓷𝓪𝓲

Requested by: mikuXleeks

Request: can i request an Obanai x Reader angst please?
like reader is stuck in unriquited love since Obanai loves Misturi more than anyone else

This one's shorter than usual, sorry! Still, I hope you like it!

~

    Ever since the serpent-like pillar entered your life, every day had been equally blissful as it was torturous. His beautiful eyes that are different in colour, his bandage that ignites a sense of mystery, his companionship with Kaburamaru. It never fails to make you ponder, how can someone be so intriguing? Before you even realised, you were completely smitten by him.

    At any given moment, your mind always seemed to think of him. At every single meeting, your eyes would drift to where he was. Every day, at least once, subconsciously or not, you would look for his whereabouts even though you knew he would always be at his usual spot.

    Sadly, someone else had already captured his heart way before you had the chance to give it a shot. It was obvious who he has feeling for, everyone could tell it was the love pillar. She was the only one unaware, which was as huge a mystery as what was hidden behind that mask of Obanai since he didn't bother to hide his biasedness towards her.

    "Obanai! What are you going to do today?" The only response you got was a shrug, he was not huge on speaking after all. Still, getting a response was enough for you. Every time you got to speak to him, your entire day would light up. Every single moment, no matter what you were doing, he seemed to be in the back of your mind. What is he doing? How is he feeling? Is he also thinking about the same things as you did, but they were specially for Mitsuri? That last question haunted you, why must you fall in love with someone you can't have?

    "Wait! Where are you going?"

    "Eat," Ah, of course, with Mitsuri. You were right in front of him yet all he could think of was the love pillar.

    "It is lunch time after all, well... enjoy yourself," A quick nod came and he left, leaving you alone, feet rooted to the ground as his frame got smaller with every second.

    It hurts, that you're never going to look at me the way I look at you, with love. Every time I look at you, I think of her, and I get reminded that I can never be with you. Still, I continued to chase after you foolishly, in hopes that you would one day reciprocate my feelings for you.

    "Wait,"

    "Huh!?!" Obanai suddenly reappeared in front of your face. "..is there something wrong?"

    "Do you want to come with me? Kanroji would be much happier if you were around..."

    "Uh, sure," It was because of Mitsuri again.. Once Mitsuri saw the two of you, her face lit up more than anyone could imagine. Her two favourite people eating with her? A true blessing. Honestly, being there was like being tortured.

    He was right there yet there was nothing you could do. His entire focus was on Mitsuri, and how much she enjoyed the food. Try talking to him all you want but you were assured that he would not hear a single word that has been uttered. No, he wasn't ignoring you, he was just too absorbed by his love. It wasn't his fault, if you were in his shoes, you would be the same too.

    The love that you wish you could experience... A love where there was hope, a love where they motivated you to improve yourself, a love where anything felt possible. That was them, where both loved each other yet they couldn't tell. If there was even a slim chance where Obanai may love you back, you would have went for it, risked everything just to show him your love.

    However, things don't always work in your favor and this was when you finally realised. Looking at their contented faces just from being near each other, reality hit you. There you were, eating with them yet they were in their own fantasy world. They may not be a couple yet but everyone knows it's bound to happen someday.

    It clicked. If something so simple like having a meal can show you how in love they are, their love must be strong, unrivaled. You couldn't stand a chance, you never did. All this while, the hope that you held on to was false. It was time to give up on this impossible love. How nice would it be if he even looked at you...

    I wonder how 'I love you' would sound like if it came out from your mouth. It must sound like heaven, so inviting, so intoxicating. Sadly, I would never be able to hear that. All I can do is admire you from afar, like watching the brightly shining stars gracing the dark nightsky's presence.

Word count: 794

♡ 10.04.20 ♡