Chapter 32

THIS has to stop.

That's what she knew after Tristan cried in front of her and chose to leave even when she asked him to stay.

But, she was so close either; so close in getting the justice she deserved.

"Baby, I'm so sorry... Please, call me.." She said over voice message. "I was a jerk and I'm sorry if I... I miss you so much... Please, call me as soon as you get this..."

If this what's like putting justice in your hands; she doesn't want it anymore.

She can't lose Tristan either.

That's right. She will stop this and do the right thing. If she wanted justice, she will trust the legal process.

"Icang?" Maricris saw her at the terrace of her room, "The children said you didn't come to the office today. Do you want to talk?"

She sighed and faced her, "I've been a bad girl, ain't I?"

Maricris didn't react but her silence speaks for her. Yes, she has been a bad bad girl.

"Would you forgive me?" She asked, "For what I've done?"

"Icang, I'm not mad at you and I really find that question a load of bull. Of course, I would, over and over." Maricris wrapped her arms around her shoulder,  "And it wasn't your fault why this happened,"

"Now I'm at fault. I hurt Tristan, Ate... and I know I neglected my kids..." she bit her lip and wiped the tears on the corner of her eyes, "Would they take me as you would?"

"Maria Carmina, you of all people showed us how to love unconditionally. It may not be perfect but it's real. So, what are you worried about when it was you who taught them?"

"Ate..."

"Don't push us away, let us fight with you. We would serve them what they deserve, I promise..."

And Maricris meant every word. She did file a case against Cynthia and Dominic the very next day.

And as for her, she didn't talk to Dominic anymore. She has to fix what she has broken and in order to do that, she has to let him go completely.

"Hi," She knocked at Tristan's office. He was zoning off when she arrived and was pretty surprised she showed up.

"H-Hi, what are you doing here?" He instantly goes towards and kissed her forehead, "Do you need anything?"

She bit her lip, "You didn't respond to my calls..." He looked over his phone at his desk. "Did you even listen to it?"

He nodded his head sideways and went back to his seat but even before he could turn his back, she pulled him close.

"I'm sorry..." She cried, "I know I've hurt you... I'm sorry..." Tristan stilled and slowly faced her again.

He gently wiped the tears from her eyes, "I-I was afraid to hear your voice... I thought you're breaking up with me..."

"What? No!" She crashed her head in his chest and embraced him even tighter, "I was too guilty. I  don't wanna hurt you...but still did... I feel that you will hate me---"

"Never..." He cut him off, "I won't ever hate you, Baby... I love you so damn much..."

"I love you, too..." She cried, "I'm sorry..."

"That's all that matters to me..."

---

Tristan and Maricar were able to continue their plans for their wedding. They attended their pre-marriage counseling, food tasting, and even meeting with the coordinator.

It was fun, though.

"Mommy, Dad was asking if you were getting his messages?" Slyther asked over breakfast.

Raven gave a curious look at her that she instantly avoided. He's a smart man and she knew that he would figure this out but she wasn't ready for it yet.

"N-No, messages about what?"

"I don't know, he just asked me..." Slyther shrugged his shoulder, "Anyway, he won't be around for a while. He has work in Macau,"

Macau? What is he doing in there?

Nevermind. It isn't her business.

"Okay," She replied and changed the topic. After breakfast, Raven went towards her. She knew he would do this--

"My, can I borrow your car?" He asked avoiding her eyes, too.

"Why?"

He scratches his nape and kept blinking his eyes, "I-I would just like to fetch a friend... If it is okay..." He bit his lower lip as his cheeks turn red.

"Are you dating someone?"

His eyes widen and immediately shooked his head, "No!" He sounded defensive; she smirked and just gave her car keys to him.

She watched them leave the house. Time flies so fast. She could still remember when they were just kids and always fight about something small and now, they have their own fights to face.

She was about to go back inside the house when she saw a familiar face across the street.

Where has she seen her?

"Good morning," She shrieked in shock when Tristan appeared, "What are you doing here, it's cold.."

"The kids just left... Did you know her?" She was about to point the woman yet she just vanished.

"Know who?"

"She was just there..." She mumbled.

Tristan shrugged his shoulder, "I didn't see anyone..." He said and put his arms above her shoulder, "You're ready to go?"

She nodded, "I'll just get my bag," she smiled and looked back again. Maybe she was just... overthinking.

Tristan dropped her off to the Wizards and headed to his office. She was welcomed with a lot of inquiry and she wasn't even halfway through when Tania knocked on her office.

"Ms.Maricar, there's someone looking for you," Tania said as a woman entered her office.

"Hi, Ms. Martinez," She offered her hand for a handshake, "I'm Jemma Velasquez of the Prosecutor's Office and I'm just here to give you this," she said and handed her an envelope, "I'll go ahead, Ma'am."

Prosecutor's Office? It must be the result of their complaint. Her sister arranged everything for her.

This is the justice she needed. She has to make sure that they won't ever hurt her anymore including her family.

But, she opened the envelope only to read complete bullshit. That's it. That's what she could use from this statement from the Prosecutor's Office.

"This is bullshit!" Maricris blurted out as she called her after reading the statement. "This is nonsense!"

She couldn't think straight to speak.

Her complaint against Cynthia and Dominic has been dismissed due to limited evidence against the defendant.

"What evidence do they need?" Maricris was so frustrated when she received a phone call. She looked into her eyes and by her eyes, saw some news.

"Who was it?" She asked, "What happened?"

Maricris teeth gritted, "My intel," She sighed deeply, "He said... They went under the table... They bribed the Prosecutor... To let this complaint... Fuck this!"

Her fist clenched.

She started to play fair but all they could do is to play dirty.

Then so be it.