Chapter 42

AFTER the talk they had, Cynthia broke the walls between them. It became easier to work with her than what he expected.

      For an intern, Cynthia already performs like an engineer, as if she was born for it. That's why when she graduated with flying colors and even topped the board exam for Civil Engineers, their firm just didn't rise, but it did ascend.

      "Congratulations!" Uncle Olan opened the bottle of the champagne as they celebrated his first project in Javerde, "To my daughter, who just topped the board exam and to the son I never had, for his first project here in Javerde; congratulations!"     

      Everyone was happy as their glasses cling in unison. How he wished that Maricar and his children are here to witness this moment.

      Too bad that he couldn't be in Raven's speech choir earlier and also Gryffin's recital in basic dance class tomorrow.

      "Hey, are you okay?" Cynthia handed him a glass of champagne, "Why are you here all alone?"

      He decided to come to the balcony of their new office. It's on the 17th floor, the night lights give beauty to the naked eye as it complements the darkness of the sky.

      "What are you thinking?"

      He sighed, "I-I just wish my family was here..." He half smiled, "They are the reason why I'm here now... I just wish they saw it..."

      Cynthia tapped his shoulder, "Where are your parents by the way?"

      "I'm already an orphan," He sipped on his champagne.

      "Oh, I'm sorry but....what family are you talking about?"

      "My wife and children---" Cynthia accidentally slipped the glass on her hand, "oh, careful!"

      "I-I'm sorry, I-I... I lost grip," She answered as he called a waiter to assist them. They went back to his office to check if she didn't get hurt.

      "Are you okay? How many glasses of champagne you've drunk?" He asked as she seemed... tipsy?

      "Y-You're married?" She murmured a bit skeptical. Wait a minute, she didn't know? Well, he didn't really want to highlight his personal life.

      This would be the first time they would talk that is not related to work. Aside from that, Maricar even requested for privacy, his wife knew that he would be famous one day and she wants their children to feel normal, to live normally.

      He looked at her and nodded proudly as he shows his family photo to her, "They're beautiful, right?"

      She didn't respond. Silence once again came in between, but this time, why does it feel... different?

      "Why don't you have a ring?"

      That's a good question, "It's a long story," they married at a young age. Only in a civil ceremony. All he could afford that time was one ring for Maricar.

      Tough times.

      An idea popped into his mind. Why not buy rings for them? Or better yet, have a church or garden wedding this time!

      Right, his wife deserves it.

      "I-I'm gonna head... h-head back now at the party..." He went back to his senses when Cynthia immediately leave his office. She didn't even turn her head, she just... left.

      At first, it wasn't a big deal for him until she went back to ignoring him. She even asked her father to have her own field project. He was beginning to feel that she's avoiding him.