Friend or Foe?

Tori's POV

Even if this is a joke Arue is taking a bit far, I find it oddly weird he would mention anything related to a wolf, especially today. He has tricked me by using my love of wolves to do things but...this doesn't feel the same. I feel nauseous actually...

I decide to look around the front first and then the back. We are somewhat near the forest but not that close. And no one has seen a wolf around here in...forever. So I have no clue as to why anyone would spot one now...

"I see nothing here... I really do hope this is nothing, because boiling it all down, it would be incredibly dangerous to have wolves around the store, plus we wouldn't really get many customers anymore and we both need the money...even if I do want to meet a wolf. Safety before dreams," I sigh out.

I move around to the back and see nothing there either, at least I thought. I was about to go back to the front when I heard the break of a twig or branch. My body jolts instantly and I carefully and quietly head to the front while keeping an eye out for any danger around myself.

I don't hear anything after that and figure it was just birds or something. It's evening, so maybe there are some people out still? Hopefully. I see or hear nothing for the next few minutes so I decide it's just a fluke and head back.

Right when I'm about to go back in, I see a menacing glare from the bushes. I immediately freeze in place.

Sharp
Golden
Eyes
...like a wolf's.

"Ho-ly shit," I whisper.

It slowly disappears after a minute. I'm still stuck in place, not sure what I saw was real or not. But one thing is true, Arue was not joking.

I slowly go back into the store, in a daze. I may have never seen or met a wolf in my life, but I have a feeling that one is very different from the rest of them. My eyes get drawn to the pendant I have in my pocket. Could it be? Perhaps it is connected to the wolf somehow?

I'm still stuck in my thoughts when Arue interrupts. "Is everything okay? Was there a wolf? Are we going to die?!" He asks, terrified. I pat his head, coming out of my daze. "No, everything is fine. I actually thought I did see what you described for a second but it disappeared. I don't think we have anything to fear. If it is a wolf, it's probably just passing through here with its pack or by itself. Don't worry," I reassure him. "But—" "if it wanted to hurt us, it would have already done that. Believe me," I firmly state, trying to comfort both him and myself.

Arue slowly nods his head, accepting what I said. He goes back to the register. I check the time and see it is getting close to closing up. Wow, that took way more time than I thought. I decide to check up on the last few things and then alert Arue and get both of us out of here for the night.

After 40 minutes, I suddenly feel a weird warmth in my pocket, where the wolf pendant is. I'm about to reach in and take it out when a customer comes in. "It's 7:45, why would someone be coming in now?" I whisper to myself.

"Hi! Welcome to our store! As you are the only customer here right now, is there anything you need help with? I can help you find just what you need in a matter of minutes so you can use your time effectively!" Arue says cheerily, like usual. He doesn't always say that, but as it is getting close to closing time and he is the ONLY customer, I see why he wants to make this fast.

I go over to Arue and stand beside him. The dude who came in looks relieved to hear about the instant help. "Actually, I would appreciate help on finding this item. I'd rather not waste my time by not finding it, so thank you!" He comes over to the register.

The pendant grows warmer, I feel. I ignore it and look into his eyes. He is staring at me the entire time he describes what he is looking for to Arue. Arue has no clue he isn't even looking at him. He has golden ey—

"Oh! We do have that, actually! Just come this way! Can you watch the register, Tori?" Arue asks, interrupting my train of thoughts. I nod. "Sure thing, Arue-chan~" I say smoothly. The dude looks at me in a disapproving way. The heck? He turns his back to me as he follows Arue.

"I wonder who you are," I whisper to myself, sticking my hand into my pocket and touching the pendant...

"Thank you so much. I'll need this lubricant in the near future, so I'm glad to find some now," the dude says, gently. "I'm glad to help! Is there anything else or is that it?" "Actually, there is one more thing. But as innocent as you lot look, I doubt you have it here." "What is it?!" Arue gasps, not believing we wouldn't have it. I chuckle, such a cute reaction. I turn my head to the dude when I feel eyes on me again. He looks amused. I give him a glare, he just smiles back.

"I'm also looking for an adult toy, a butt plug to be specific~" he purrs out in a smooth tone. Arue's face becomes confused and I get a mad blush on my face. If looks could kill, he would be dead, as he said that while looking right at me. That bitch.

"What is—" "We don't have it, sorry sir. You'll have to actually go to an adult store for that," I answer in a firm tone, interrupting Arue. I'm not taking any bullshit from this dude.

"Oh really? Well, can you at least tell me where I may find one? I need to get it ASAP," he asks, I roll my eyes. "Yeah, maybe in a BDSM area. Or Michigan. I heard they may have something there. Why not go there?? But otherwise, I have no clue, sorry sir," I say, trying to get this done with. He just smiles. "May I speak to your boss? You are being very rude to a customer—" "sorry, this place is not ran by any boss or company of any kind. We are our own boss—" "how do you get any income from this?" "Sir, this is no time for chit chat, we are running on time. We are about to close. I hate to be rude, but everyone is tired. So if that is all we can provide you with, please check out and go," I say roughly. I hate being rude but this guy is not taking a hint.

"Tori! Stupid head, don't be rude. We may be tired but customers come first!" Arue says, hitting my arm. "Nah, it's fine. I understand. I'm sorry," the dude says, in a apologetic tone. I somewhat feel bad. "It's fine. Sorry for being a bitch," I say, bowing slightly.

He checks his one item out and Arue gives him the price. He pays and starts walking out. He stops before the sliding doors and says only loud enough for me to hear, "you are a bitch, but you're my bitch. So it's fine~" he purrs out, leaving in a smooth exit. I grip the counter so hard, seething.

"Oh my god, I hate that jerk!" I exclaim, hitting the counter. "I think he was a nice guy," Arue says innocently. Some silence goes by...

"So, what's a 'buttplug' and why would he find it in an 'adult store'?" Arue asks, confused. I hit my head.