Chapter One: Storm

Oh Georgie no...

The Reader is currently 7 years old. Shhhhhhhh just keep reading my biscuits, trust me.

And if you just quickly rushed in to read, the Reader is a boy ~
~ 💮 Masky

Autumn, 1956

~The Reader

You hummed lightly, skipping along through the rain. A little red and white parasol was clutched in your arms, held up to protect you from the sudden down pour. You giggled, hopping down from the sidewalk and into a large puddle of water. You knew you were going to be in trouble for getting your pants wetter than they already were from being in the rain, but you didn't care. You were having fun.

You hopped and hopped, splashing up more water as you went, almost dropping the parasol that protected your head from the heavy droplets of water. You were so engrossed in playing that you almost missed something that you were coming up on; a balloon.

You stopped your giggling and splashing, staring curiously at the floating object. It's white string anchored it to large metal grates that water spilled into.

You tilted your head and reached your hand out towards it...

And poked it. It bounced away and weightlessly swung around, eventually settling back in place. A bright smile spread across your red lips. You went to touch it again...

"Oh? What is this?"-
(PLEASE NOTE I HAVEN'T WATCH THE MOVIES, JUST READ THE BOOK)
- a voice came from the grates bellow. You jumped back and withdrew your hand. You heard a delightfully chilling giggle now. "Oh, I didn't mean to scare you, (Y/n), I'm sorry ~" voice was giddy and had cracked once or twice.

You stepped forward and looked down through the grates. Your (E/c) orbs meeting a shiny pair of silver dollars. You watched those eyes move over to the opening to the sewer system. The bright eyes belonged to a clown with a white face, orange tuffs of hair, red lips and nose. There was also a pair of lines that started from his red smile and stopped a few inches above where his eye brows should be. You couldn't exactly see what he was wearing, though you assumed it was something bright and vibrant, and besides, you were too interested in his eyes.

Your eyes widened and your head tilted in fascination. You felt mesmerized and largely confused. Why would a clown be in the sewers? That just didn't make sense... Clowns were supposed to be entertaining people at parades and carnivals and celebrations.

"What's the matter? Cat got your tongue? " he asked sticking his tongue out at you, making you giggle. You shook your head no.

"What are you doin' down there?" you asked innocently, crouching with your knees to your chest.

"The storm just bleeeew me away, "the clown in the storm drain answered, cussing a smile to tug at your lips. "It blew the whole circus away. Can you smell the circus?" as the clown asked that question the smell of death his your nose. Death rot and decay; sour, musky, and waxy, ashy, sweet. That particular mixture of scents stayed only for a moment. You almost swore that you saw the clown's eyes and expressions change for a split second, but a new set of scents met you, distracting you from that wondering thought.

The smell of cotton candy, oil frying dough to make funnel cake, said fried treat covered with sweet powdered sugar and a drizzle of (chocolate or strawberry) in top of it hit you making your mouth water. You could also smell Strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, and blackberry candies and food flavoring. Nothing but sweets, and baked goodies.

They called up good memories; memories of with your uncle. While you relived those memories for a moment, you were interrupted by a giggle.

"You cAn smell the Circus can't you?" the clown giggled more once you nodded your head 'yes'. From the corner of your eye you saw the red balloon float away. You watched it for a second before looking back at the clown.

"Aww, would you like a balloon?" he asked, revealing that he held a whole clutch of balloons of various colors, mostly red.

"Do you have any purple ones? " you innocently asked tilting your head the other way.

"Oh yes~!" He giggled more, getting you to giggle a little. "Purple, red, blue, green, yellow... All kinds of balloons, (Y/n). And they all flOat ~!" his voice cracked on the 'o', sounding a little squeaky.  "We all float down here, (Y/n)~ would you like to float with us?" he asked "Oh it's SOOO much fUN, (Y/n)! Y~O~U would have so much fun with us. "

You giggled, covering your mouth with your free hand. "It does sound fun, but I can't..." you frowned a little. The clown matched your expression, almost making you smile again.

"OohhHHhh, why not, (Y/n)? You don't want to have fun with me?" he asked, sounding pouty.

"I'm sorry, but my daddy told me I have come home when it rains."  you childishly explained standing up straight. "Maybe another time, whoever you are ~!" you giggled and skipped away, not waiting for a response.
However you felt a strange lash of angry hit your back. You shrugged off the feeling and continued on your way.

~IT

It growled, thinking you were a strange child; thinking of death when thinking of the circus.  And you left It hungry, It didn't even have a chance to make fear It.

It's thoughts dwelled on hunger however. It could decide weather or not to pursue you after eating.  Sleeping for so long left It so hungry.  Hibernation time was over,  now it was feeding time.

Shorter first chapter than I expected, but oh well, hope this slow start interests you
~ 💮 Masky