Chapter 3

The spring nights were chilly.

Numerous small specks of glittering dust and a bright moon decorated the black expanse of a sky. And the sounds of surrounding nature mingling with rustling leaves. It was all so beautiful.

Xiao Lin felt so relaxed. He thought this is the best thing of this new world. He had never seen such beautiful sky in modern times. All the city lights polluted the beauty of sky. And the sounds of nature polluted by the noise of city traffic and stuff.

He was leisurely walking home while enjoying this tranquility.

Reaching home, Xiao Lin grabbed the towel and wooden bucket and went to the nearby well to wash his face and hands. After freshening up, he refilled the wooden bucket with water and went home again.

Damn! Life in this era is so difficult. I wouldn't even get up and fetch water from the kitchen in my old life but now I had to travel in this chilly night and carry a bucket to home. What is this!? A karma!? My elder sister would laugh evilly if she knew! Ah, I really miss them. He thought depressingly.

Thank God this body, although skinny, was strong enough and used to such hardships otherwise if he were in his old body, he would be quite useless.

Little MeiXiu had already cooked dinner when he entered home. Both siblings ate in silence.

Seeing her brother frowning a little and lost in his thoughts, Zhong MeiXiu couldn't help asking, "Brother, is something bothering your?"

Xiao Lin look up at his little sister. Although she was young; but she has matured enough for her age, mentally. He knew how much she cared for and loved her only brother.

They didn't have parents or relatives; the two siblings lived alone. But the villagers' had always been kind. They have helped and cared for the two kids a lot. Never left them alone to fend for themselves, giving them fruits, vegetables, clothes etc. and sometimes even meat since it was a rarity and a expensive thing. That's why both were still alive and healthy.

Xiao Lin debated in his head if he should tell her. The sooner the better, he decided and exhaled.

"Little MeiXiu, I want to go to the capital."

She looked up, stunned, eyes brimming with tears. "Even you want to leave me."

"No, no!" He got up and went over to her, embracing her. Kissing her forehead, he continued, "Silly Xiu, why would I leave my loved one here. Listen to me now. You're the only one who understands her brother so well. I want our situation to change. We can't live like this our whole life in this poverty and begging others. And I know you also don't want to.

"I want you to fulfill your dreams. I want you to be educated. Learn the art of healing and medicine, which you love. And I also want to fulfill my dreams. And it's also one of my dreams to fulfill my sister's dreams. You understand what I'm saying?"

Head still on her brother's chest, Zhong MeiXiu sniffled and nodded.

"Of course, I won't leave you here for forever. As soon as I've earned enough money, you can further your education there in capital. We can start living there. Or we can also build one more house here if you want and if we get that rich." He paused, smirking a little. "And you would also have rich noble suitors." He laughed hard, making his little sister blush. She pinched his arm hard.

"Ouch! Hey! Why?" He drawled. "Are you embarrassed?" He laughed again. Her brother's laugh was so soothing and pleasing to ears. One can't help but smile too.

"Oh well! Listen my baby Xiu," Xiao Lin continued. "Humans have the ability to change. And one has to take some risks to move forward. And, you're my support. I'm glad you're here with me. This time too, will you support your brother?" He looked down at the girl in his arms.

Zhong MeiXiu got out of his brother's arms, looking at him and nodding her head.

"Good girl!" Xiao Lin praised, smiling and ruffling her hair.

He laid down on his back, placing his hands under his head. He sighed looking at the ceiling, frown marring his pretty face. "But there is one problem."

"What's that?"

"Expenses! Travelling and stuff. I don't have enough money. And where will you stay if I leave."

"No worries. I can stay at aunt Hong."

Oh yes. Where little MeiXiu worked at. The Hong couple was quite old and didn't have any children.

"And as for money, I have it too."

"What?" He sat up immediately, looking at his sister incredulously. "From where?"

"Wait a moment." She went to another room. After 2 minutes, she came back and placed a beautiful gold ring with a blue stone in his hand.

"This is mother's. Before dying she gave it to me. I think you forgot that it's still with me."

"But I can't sell something precious which belongs to mother and now to you. Now, can I!?" He shook his head. " No, I can't do something like that." He gave it back to his sister.

"Who said we have to sell it. Pawn the ring! So, you can borrow money and if you return the money within a stipulated time period, we can get the ring back. And, I know you will. I believe in you." She smiled brilliantly. 

His eyes misted over. He kissed her forehead and hugged her tightly. "You're the best sister ever! I'm so lucky."

She giggled in his arms, wrapping her arms around her dear brother.

21/01/2020