Chapter 21

In this ancient world, people went to sleep early. The nights were silent like tranquil water. Only the nocturnal beings were active. The lively places in the morning were celebrating the emptiness and silence. Only the taverns and the red-light districts were still alive.

Xiao Lin didn't think about what he would do after he escaped. Truthfully, he was never really sure that he could really escape. But he still wanted to take a risk even without the confidence for the success.

Because that was what he was like. He was young; a spirited boy who had never really made such difficult decisions in life. He had parents and older sisters to solve the difficult problems for him, to protect him from everything and who just doted on him. Life hadn't shown him much before he was thrown into challenges.

But now he was alone in this whole new different world. He wasn't ready for it. So, he could only move forward, make decisions for himself, whether they were stupid ones or right ones, he didn't know; he wasn't sure. The naivety of a young man hasn't left him yet.

Now after finally successfully escaping, he felt lost, not knowing what to do next. His Majesty had superpowers. Since one person had them, Xiao Lin was sure other people also did. That just showed, even after living in this world for a few months, he didn't know much about it; there were still many things he wasn't aware of. He had always just thought that he had transmigrated into the past. But, this world was really...like those supernatural historical novels!

Did he transmigrate into some novel? He pondered over it, then immediately dismissed the idea. Nah, I have never read any such books with this kind of plot! Haha!

"Brother Xiao Lin, what do we do now?"

"That's what I'm thinking." He said as he supported his chin with his hand.

When the morning comes, that scary Emperor would find out. Then, there'll be search for sure. Could he really safely hide in the capital city? Was there even a place to hide in the capital city?

He glanced at the carriage. Why not just leave the capital city and go back to his sister and hide there for some time? The farther away from His Majesty, the better. He won't be able to find me then.

Then he could think about moving to a different city after the situation has calmed down, after all, this Empire was huge. Capital city wasn't the only good city.

He also had enough money for now. There shouldn't be any problem.

"We're leaving the city." Xiao Lin decided.

"What! But where would we go?"

"My village. The farther away we are, the safer we are. Your family doesn't live in the capital city too, so there shouldn't be any problems."

Once the search started, it would be difficult to leave the city. It was night time and they also had a carriage. Deciding, Xiao Lin and Su Ming drove towards the city gate after dropping off the carriage-owner near a red-light district. Summer nights were warm, so they didn't have to worry about him freezing to death.

By 3 in the morning, they crossed the city gates without any problems. It took two hours to reach the nearby village where they stoked some supplies, rested a bit then went on.

Reaching the next town, Xiao Lin sold the carriage. Then him and Su Ming rode some local carriage because neither Su Ming nor Xiao Lin himself knew the way to his village.

***

Xiao Lin's village was beautiful. In the distance were huge mountains blanketed with green expanse of a forest which even reached the threshold of the town. The rushing sound of the river flowing nearby could be heard. And the setting sun's warm hue seemed to cast a golden spell of ataraxia.

But Xiao Lin had no time to appreciate the beauty of his village. Because he felt sick; just like when he went to the capital city for the first time.

"Brother Xiao Lin, you're really weak." Su Ming commented as he supported him.

"Shut-ugh...up...I feel...dizzy...!" Conveyance in this world was awful. He missed cars. Couldn't that Emperor make some cars with his...magic or whatever?! How useless!

"Turn right from here?" Su Ming stopped walking and asked, looking around.

"Yes. A little further-blech!" He pushed Su Ming away and immediately squatted down, puking. There was nothing left except stomach acid.

Su Ming handed over the water and Xiao Lin washed away the taste from his mouth.

"Su Ming, I can't walk...anymore."

"Then I'll carry you," came an adult male's voice from behind. Su Ming and Xiao Lin both turned their heads to look.

"Brother Chen!" Xiao Lin exclaimed with his almost-dead voice.

"Ah, I was right! Xiao Lin, it's really you! What a surprise visit!" Chen Yu said as he walked over, grabbed Xiao Lin's arm, lifted him up and easily carried him princess-style.

Xiao Lin was given a start but the dizziness that came with this stunt made him forget to protest.

Su Ming standing close by frowned.

And just like that, Xiao Lin was taken home. Not his home or aunt Hong's home where his sister was staying but Chen Yu's home.

"You rest here first. If little Meixiu saw you like this after all these months, she'd be more worried than happy." Chen Yu commented after reaching his home and laid Xiao Lin down on the bed.

"Thank you!" Xiao Lin said in a weary tone, eyes half closed.

Chen Yu looked at the exhausted face of Xiao Lin; his thoughts unknown. He placed his hand on the boy's forehead. "No fever. I'll bring you a medicinal tea to help you with nausea."

Xiao Lin hummed in response and closed his eyes, ready to sleep. Chen Yu covered him up with the blanket then turned to Su Ming. After making Xiao Lin drink medicinal tea, he and Su Ming had a little talk over a dinner before Su Ming, too, was given a room to rest.

***

I was really depressed this past week that the update got late. 😞 Next update, hopefully this week.

Ad: Ahem, I've posted another story, 'My Troublesome Omega'. It's an omegaverse story. Check it out and see if you guys find it interesting. 😊

Have a good day!

Published: 20/10/2020