Chapter 13

(Edit: A/N: Added a music which I was listening to when this story's idea formed in my head.)

***

It was a beautiful night of a full moon.

Huge garden was illuminated by the warm lights of big lanterns. Light breeze of late spring blew gently mixing different floral scents of a garden. In the middle was set a low stage for performances. Right and left sides of stage were occupied by royalties and nobles. While at the front was a raised dais where an Emperor of Rong Empire, Song Longwei, sat on his golden dragon throne looking all regal and majestic.

On the left side, a step lower from the dais, sat another handsome man. He was no less from the man sitting on the dragon throne; neither in appearance nor in aura. Though in height, he was a bit shorter. However, his golden hair, blue eyes and lips carrying a constant light smile gave him an amiable aura unlike the cold and dark aura exuded by the Emperor Song Longwei. This man was no other than the special guest in whose honor the banquet was held, Emperor of Qiang Empire, Qing Jinhai. Holding a wine cup in his right hand, he occasionally took a sip from it.

On the right side, below two steps from dais, sat Emperor Song Longwei's consorts and concubines according to their rank.

A paper screen was erected at the rear of stage. A shadow could be seen on the screen which let people know about the arrival of the next performer and also the last performance of the day after which feast would be started.

A figure emerged from behind the screen who wore a beautiful white robe with red peonies embroidered on it. But because of lanterns, warm hue was casted on their person. Back straight, chin up, eyes downcast and faintly seen red lips behind a red veil. The enchanting figure walked elegantly towards the low stage.

Xiao Lin didn't look up to see the man sitting on the dragon throne as that was considered rude. In fact, he didn't look at anybody. In this one month, he had learned basic palace rules and etiquettes as not to unintentionally offend the ruler because of his ignorance and lack of knowledge.

He stood in the middle of a low stage and bowed towards the direction of the Emperor before standing up and looking towards the musicians. He gave them a nod before turning his head back.

Xiao Lin took his stance. A melody flowed filling the quiet and tranquil space and with that moved the enthralling figure like a dancing bird in the sky; like a fluttering butterfly.

Shining in the moon light and lanterns lights, black hair danced with flying robe and sleeves with each movement. It was a breath taking sight tugging at the hearts of who watched.

Lips touching the wine cup, Qing Jinhai forgot to take his sip of his wine. Eyes watching the beauty intently. That veil hiding the face of a beauty made his hand itch to take it off and see what's hidden under. The mysterious aura of purity the beauty exuded, like unreachable and unattainable, posed like a challenge to Qing Jinhai wanting him to conquer and taint this beauty in front. His eyes flashed with the hidden desire to posses.

Sitting on a dragon throne, Emperor Song Longwei's eyes flashed with displeasure seeing the stares of men and amount of attention Xiao Lin was attracting.

Regrettably, the captivating moment soon ended. Music stopped. And the garden went eerily silent. Xiao Lin stood in the middle of silence and numerous burning gazes: some with lust, some with awe and some with jealousy. His chest heaving and cheeks flushed with exertion. Faintly seen red lips were parted and fanning the veil as he panted.