Chapter 19

Xiao Lin examined the pendant. Aside from looking expensive and beautiful, there wasn't anything special or suspicious about its looks. And the letter suggested it wasn't ordinary. That meant...it has supernatural powers!

Should he do as the letter said or not? If it would really help in their escape, then there wasn't anything wrong using it, right? But, then again, he didn't know the help he was getting, if it was from a friend or foe and their real intentions behind it.

Aiya, too complicated! Let's just use it. What if the Emperor really were able to track him as the letter suggested? Xiao Lin thought.

***

The next day, Su Ming arranged servant clothes for both of them. Their plan was simple. To escape, they decided to use one of the transport-carriages which brought goods into the palace. It was a good thing that not many knew the face of the new imperial concubine making it easy for Xiao Lin not to be recognized. Also adding the factor that he won't be dressing up as a girl; it'd make it easier.

There was one challenging part though. They'd have to make the transport driver unconscious and steal his pass which was used to enter and leave the palace.

"You go and tell one of the imperial doctor's assistant that the new imperial concubine has difficulty sleeping for a few days now. She wishes him to prescribe something which can help her sleep deeply. And quantity should be enough to last for 5 days." Su Ming won't have problem getting one because the eunuch clothes he wore were only worn by eunuchs who served Emperor's concubines; showing their position in the palace.

Su Ming carried out the order and brought five individually paper-packed some green powder.

"He said to take one every day before sleeping." Su Ming informed.

"Add two, no, three of these into the driver's wine." These are not modern medicines, so the potency shouldn't be that high, right? Xiao Lin thought.

"Three? What if something happens to him?" Su Ming asked nervously.

Xiao Lin frowned. He had instructed Su Ming not to ask for details in case the assistant got suspicious and had also didn't send Su Ming to the royal doctor directly for this very reason. He already found palace people quite scary and unpredictable. "Okay then, make it two."

After the dinner, Xiao Lin told his servants that he'd be retiring early today and they could go retire early too. Alone in his room, he looked out of the window. The sun has gone home. And the night, adding to his fortune, was moonless; darker.

***

There were two spies, in complete black clothing, one tall and one short, who had been observing this particular duo of concubine and eunuch for some days and now were tasked to help them escape from the shadows.

It was evident that the duo of concubine and eunuch would never be able to escape on their own as the two spies watched them making quite a noise while trying sneak out of the residence unnoticed by the couple of guards around this area.

"Su Ming make your steps light. You're too noisy!" Xiao Lin complained.

Su Ming tried to do as he was told.

Xiao Lin tiptoed towards the tree. Though the night was really dark but few lanterns some distance away helped them make out shadows.

Crunch!

Startled by the sound, Xiao Lin looked around anxiously before turning around and giving Su Ming's head a light smack.

"What did I tell you!" Xiao Lin whisper-yelled.