Chapter 7: The Night I Found Out Hotaru's Secret

When we got home I was so tired about all the things that had happened today. Tired, but in a happy way... I hadn't noticed that I fell asleep on the couch and that Hotaru put a blanket on me so I wouldn't be cold. I was woken up suddenly by a noise. A beautiful noise. Like bells ringing in the heavens. It was night time when I got woken up. I saw the door. It was open. I had no idea who did that. I wondered where Hotaru was. He was always lingering around and following me, but tonight.. he was nowhere to be found. I tried calling out his name softly but he didn't show up. On the ground, I saw dust. It was like fairy dust, but it was more colorful. It was sparkling with pink, blue, purple and yellow colors. I followed the trail of dust and it led to the woods. Even though I had no idea where I was going, I still followed the trail of sparkling dust. Then, just then the dust disappeared, and I was left alone in the woods having no idea where I was. But behind this big tree, I saw a light. As I walked forward I saw something so incredible I thought I was going crazy... I saw a beautiful creature...

I had no idea, what in the world that thing was, or if it was even real. I couldn't describe it. It looked like some kind of dragon or something, but it was full of colors and. It had wings. I was hidden behind a tree so I don't think that it could see me. It looked like a big mix of colors from the sunset splattered on the thing. As I moved back I stepped on a twig and out came a cracking sound. "Uh...oh.." I whispered to myself. I just stood there closing my eyes hoping it wouldn't find me, buut~ it didn't work. Just when I thought that it was gone I opened my eyes, and there was the thing. It was right in front of me. "Gahhhhh!!!" I yelled out as I fell to the ground. It was 10 times bigger than me. As I stared at it, I got a glimpse of its eyes. And at that moment I saw a beautiful blue, the same calm marbles just like Hotaru's eyes. "H-haru.." I whispered

"Yes, it is me. Scarlett."

"W-what happened....to you?"

"Don't be scared, Scarlett. This is who I am. At night. I become a creature that stops the darkness from invading you... I am a creature known as Izanami(god of darkness)." Hotaru said as he moved closer to me. I stood up slowly, scared, and astonished at the same time. As Hotaru moved forward a step, so did I. I kept on moving until I was only an inch away from the Izanami. Then, I slowly moved my right hand up, and softly touched, Hotaru's forehead where there was a crescent yellow moon. I smiled at him glad that he excepted the touch.

"Scarlett, climb on me. I want to show you something amazing." Hotaru said

"O-ok..."

I said nervously hoping that I won't fall off and break my head when I'm climbing up the huge creature. I climbed up the Izanami slowly and when I reached the top I felt like I was on top of the world. Just when I was about to let go Hotaru yelled out, "Hold on tight!" Then at that moment I held on tight all right. Really tight. Hotaru spread out a big, and I mean really big pair of wings. They were so beautiful, like someone had painted the sunset on them. Then he flapped only once, and we were already 3 inches above the ground. As Hotaru flapped, the trees swayed side to side hard. Hotaru made winds that were hard enough to blow away a house. Just as I was thinking about that a flower let go of its roots and flew off the earth into the air. Then, we were really really high, farther and farther away we got from earth. It felt like a whole new world.

After a few more flaps, we were above all the trees and houses. We were in the clouds. "Haru....it's..beautiful.." I said as I clung tighter to him. "Indeed it is... Scarlett.." Notary replied as he soared above the clouds in the night sky. I reached my hands out to touch the clouds. They felt so fluffy and soft, as if I were touching nothing. I looked up and saw the moon, with its radiant glowing light. I also saw the stars, twinkling as if they were saying hi to me. I smiled and chuckled a bit, which caused Hotaru to turn his head and face me.

"Are you enjoying this, Scarlett."

"Yes, yes I am Hotaru...I love it." I said as I squeezed Hotaru's neck. I saw him smile a little. After a few minutes Hotaru soared down to Earth again, which made me a little bit sad because I wanted to stay above in the clouds a little longer but it's okay.

"Scarlett, Please go back to the house and get some rest." Hotaru demanded

"B-but what about yo-"

"Do not worry about me, Miss. I will be watching over you as you sleep. Now please, go back into the house."

"..O-ok.. Good night Hotaru" I said waving back to Hotaru as I ran back into the house.

"Good night, Miss Scarlett.."
****
As I layed in my bed, I thought about all the stuff that has happened to me. Scary things, amazing things, and Hotaru. If he hadn't entered into my life, I'd still be miserable and lonely. I felt grateful, that Hotaru is here. I thought as I closed my eyes, and for the first time, fell into a deep and calming sleep....