Chapter 1

it feels like a perfect night

to fall in love with strangers

you don't know about me

but i bet you want to

~22 by tayyyy

~~~~

I'm not an idiot. I'm not an idiot. I'm not.

The thought kept running through my head as I raced down the empty hallway. My feet pounded against the freshly shampooed carpets. I barely glanced at the pictures hanging on the walls, rushing past them. My heart was pounding and a sharp pain shot through my lungs as they desperately tried to suck in more air. I couldn't remember the last time I had run so fast. My legs were beginning to ache and I pressed forward, not willing to falter a step, trying to put as much distance between me and my pursuer. I risked a glance behind me and saw an empty hallway. I didn't pause to celebrate and quickly flew around the corner, jabbing my foot right into a large lounge chair. I was launched up and over the chair and came crashing down beside it, the breath rushing out of me.

Okay, yeah. I'm an idiot.

"Who in the heck puts a chair in the middle of the fetching hallway?!" I whispered under my breath, rubbing my sore foot. I heard shouts coming from the hallway I had just emerged from and knew I only had a couple of minutes before I was caught. I grabbed the keys, which had been thrust out of my hands from my recent flight, and glanced around the hall. A single door was located at the end of the hallway. I shrugged. Worth a shot. 

I groaned as I used the arm of the chair to stand up and hobble over to the door. I fumbled with the keys, trying to decide which one would fit the lock on the door. After three failed attempts, I kicked my foot against the wall in frustration. The sore foot.

"You have got to be kidding me," I moaned, fighting the tears brimming my eyes.

Definitely an idiot. 

The lock clicked, the fourth key finally fitting snuggly into the hole. 

"I think she's down here!" More footsteps raced down the hall, headed my way. 

"Please don't be home," I said, yanking the door open and stepping inside. I quietly shut the door and sighed, leaning my back against it. I closed my eyes and focused on my breathing, trying to calm my racing heart. 

I sat there with my back against the door, not moving. After several minutes, I finally opened my eyes and took in my surroundings.

"Woah," I breathed. 

The room was incredible. The walls were blindingly white and the dark, smooth wooden floors stretched out in front of me. Immaculate furniture that matched the color of the walls was set around in a circle on the plush, gray carpet. A fireplace at the far end of the room was framed by large gray stones. The whole place was perfectly crisp and clean. Almost a little too crisp, a little too clean. Definitely too white.

I walked towards the couch, running my hand across the plump cushions and perfectly situated pillows. A massive flatscreen TV hung on a wall across from the couch. Behind the couch, a set of closed double doors with glass panes held a room full of musical instruments. Definitely checking that out later. I plopped down on the couch, letting out a sigh. I know I shouldn't. I'm in a stranger's apartment. But I really couldn't resist. I kicked my shoes off and winced as the sore foot softly fell onto the carpet. I lifted it up, rubbing the sore area. Jolts of pain shot up my leg and my foot had already swollen. That was gonna hurt tomorrow. I dropped it, letting it rest back down on the soft carpet.