Chapter 3

pay attention, i hope that ya listen cuz i let my guard down

now you know me, for your eyes only

pain gets hard

but now you're here and i don't feel a thing

~if i could fly by MY BOYS 1D

~~~~

His soft curls. His broad shoulders and lean stance. The fingers still fumbled at his neck, but this time they were holding something there. His face slowly tilted upwards with a small albeit bewildered smile, his dimples deepening. His patterned shirt was only half-buttoned up and he was wearing black skinny jeans. Probably smaller than any pair I could fit in. They led into his signature Chelsea boots, which he was nervously scuffing on the floor. Wait . . . was he nervous? Why would Harry Styles ever be nervous? Before I could ponder more on that, I could feel his eyes searching for mine. I glanced up, our eyes locking in place as if they were supposed to be that way, the two of us sinking into the deep pools of each other's eyes. His large emerald ones stared back at mine. I felt warm under his gaze. I felt home. I had only met him once, but those soft, green eyes welcomed me into their embrace like an old friend. I couldn't believe I had come. And judging by the look on his face, he couldn't believe it either.

"Hey," he breathed.

That voice. Exactly as I had remembered it. Everything, exactly as I had remembered it. Especially the embarrassed flush I could feel rushing up my neck. 

"Hey," I replied, maintaining eye contact. There was a quiet pause between us.

"I wasn't sure if you . . . well I'm glad that you . . ." he began. His eyes dropped to the floor. He was adorable, even when he was nervous. Especially when he was nervous. 

At first, I hadn't been sure if I had understood correctly what he said at the concert. I was pretty sure now that I had gotten it right, he had been asking me to come. I felt tingles spread up my legs and arms. I couldn't describe how it made me feel, knowing he had asked ME to come. 

"I hadn't known if . . . but maybe I just thought . . ." I began. He glanced up at me through his locks of tangled hair and we both laughed, releasing some nervous tension. 

"I'm glad you came," he said finally, letting out a deep breath and pushing his hair out of his eyes.

"Me too," I said, trying to keep my goofy smile from spreading across my entire face.

Another pause.

His forehead crinkled as he thought about something for a bit, tugging at the ends of his curls with his free hand. His eyes suddenly shot to mine. "Do you wanna take a walk?" 

"Sure," I said. His beautiful smile lit up his face again.

"I'll get my coat," he said, turning back into his apartment and leaving the door slightly opened. I glanced at the thing he clutched at his neck, recognizing the solid cubes as ice. He dropped the pack on the counter and swiftly put his coat on, closing the door as he came out. I fell into step beside him as we walked down the carpeted hallway. My eyes latched onto the droplets of water slowly running down his neck. I caught myself before I reached out to wipe them away. He saw me looking, though, and wiped his neck with the sleeve of his coat.

"Sorry," he said sheepishly.

"What happened?" I asked him. 

"I had a headache," he said, shrugging. 

"A bad enough headache that you needed ice?" I pressed. He let out a sigh and laughed lightly.

"Nothing gets passed you, huh?" He lifted an eyebrow. I blushed a bit and let my gaze travel back to the floor. "I guess the crowd was a little louder tonight than usual."