John Marston: Again

Summary: It'll be the first time either of you say I love you.

It had been a few days since you have left out for this lead. Of course it was a good take, but the gashes on your arm and abdomen wasn't. You winced as you touched your arm, it was the worst of the two. Even though you had managed a rough bandage from some fabrics in your satchel, they'd still need to be looked at and bandaged at camp. It hurt to pull yourself up into your saddle. 

The job wasn't supposed to take as long as it had, and you would have been back already if you hadn't of gotten caught. 

----

As you road toward the small building, things were calm. You blended in with the other riders traversing the paths. The homestead sat a few hours away from camp. It was small and looked to be barely in better condition than the cabins at Colter. Tilly had overheard something about there being some pretty shiny things inside and that the owners weren't going to be in for a day or two. 

To you, it seemed too perfect. A homestead full of cash and jewelry left unattended for enough time to rob? You tried to voice your concerns to Dutch, and Hosea seemed to share your hesitation, but he still sent you out. 

You left your horse in the trees right out of  sight as you crept into the small home. Tilly was right, there was plenty of worth just lying around. The house was empty and you began to fill your satchel with cash and other high-price items. You smiled to yourself at the thought of how much this haul would bring into camp. 

As you snuck out the back door again, there was a man standing there. His gun aimed at your head and he cocked the weapon. 

Luck was on your side as the gun jammed when he pulled the trigger. You took the chance and lunged at the man, your satchel laying in the bushes. Unbeknownst to you, there were more. They pulled you off the first man and held you down as the men repeatedly hit you. 

Bound and tied to the steps leading to the back door, they left you there. 

It wasn't until the next afternoon that you came to, the men gathered in the house talking about their next plans. While their bindings were good for someone who was unconscious, they were pretty easy to slip. As quietly as you could you pulled your satchel, which now seemed as heavy as your own body, and moved towards the forest. 

----

 The ride back into camp the next morning was long and tedious. Arthur was just about to saddle up when he noticed the state you were in. He called for Miss Grimshaw as he helped you out of your saddle. "Don't forget my saddle bag, it's got a lot in it" you said as you leaned back. "Let's just get you situated first" Arthur stated as he picked you up and carried you the rest of the way to your tent.

"My girl, whatever you got into to get these, please refrain from doin it again" the older woman said as she poured alcohol on your stomach. You flinched as bit the inside of your cheek to keep from yelling. "I'll try" you gritted. Miss Grimshaw shook her head as she bandaged your wounds, "Either way, we're glad you're back. Had to almost kick Mr. Marston out of camp so he'd stop pestering the rest of them with worry." she sighed, "In a way, he was right." You gave an airy laugh, "He would have run in guns blazing, it wouldn't have been that good. I wouldn't have gotten away as smoothly as I did and with the haul I have"" you answered. 

Miss Grimshaw hummed a small response before telling you the normal spiel about resting and changing the bandages regularly. After she left, you tried to rest but couldn't. So you got out of bed, and moved outside. As you sat at one of the tables near your tent, Dutch approached.  

"How're you feelin?" he asked. His voice a familiar country drawl, He leaned on the table.  "About like how I look" you replied with a sarcastic smirk. He shook his head, "Guess I should'a sent someone else with ya" he sighed. You shook your head, "It's all good, I got it done." 

He hummed a small response, "It was a nice reward Y/N. Bout close to a thousand dollars there." You smiled, "Sounds good, next time though if it seems too perfect, then we think about it more" you chastised. Dutch laughed, "Of course" he said as he walked away with a small thank you.

The day passed slowly, you worked on mending holes in John's jeans. 

Pearson had just called that the stew was finished, the sun still working on setting. The clouds were a soft pink as the evening was only beginning. 

"Y/N" Micah spoke with a smirk as he approached you. "What do you need Mr. Bell?" you asked avoiding looking at him. "Aren't you supposed to be in bed" he purred. "I'm fine right where I am thank you" you answered as you sat the jeans to the side. "Are you sure, because I could show you what scarface can't" he laughed. 

He had you pinned at the table now, his hands placed on either side of you. "I'm good" you scoffed.  

As Micah opened his mouth to respond he was shoved away, "She said she's good. Now leave er alone" John stated as he stood in front of you. Micah laughed as he backed away and stalked off towards the main fire. John then turned his attention to you. You carefully stood and he pulled you into an embrace. 

The sudden contact and the pain that shot through your torso made you gasp. 

"Are you alright" he asked as he pulled away, scanning your body. "Just a few scratches from the homestead robbery, nothing much" you said. He shook his head and lead you into his tent. 

"Are they bad?" he asked moving your shirt. His brow furrowed at the sight of the bandages, "I thought you said they weren't much?"

"There's only two, so not much" you responded meekly.

He sighed and gently pulled you back into his arms. Here, in his warmth you relaxed and wrapped your arms around his waist. "I love you" you hummed. 

John's eyes widened at the words, "what?" he asked as he pulled away. "I-I love you" you repeated your eyes on the ground and cheeks flushed. Dammit, shouldn't have said it so soon.

John's expression softened, "Say it again" he said as he caressed your cheek, making you look at him. "I love you" 

"Again"

"I love you" you laughed. He kissed you, pressing his forehead against yours, "say it again" he whispered. "John, I love you" 

He kissed you again, "say it again please" he asked. You cupped his face and smiled, "I love you." 

"I'll never get tired if hearing that. It makes me happy, because I love you" John said as he softly kissed your temple.  

Requests?