Ecclesia Part 1 Chapter 22

"Each year, the Great Pumpkin rises out of the pumpkin patch that he thinks is the most sincere. He's gotta pick this one. He's got to. I don't see how a pumpkin patch can be more sincere than this one. You can look around and there's not a sign of hypocrisy. Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see."

-Linus, Charlie Brown

*Two Days before Halloween, A Small Town in the Wallace Home, 8 Months Ago, With the Winchesters*

The house was clean, white furniture was strewn about, Belle stood tall in her heels, makeup caked on her face adding the years on her youthful complexion. Sam and Dean stood in front of her, both in their FBI costumes, her Uncle was speaking quietly to the victim's wife. "Now how many razor blades did they find?" He asks as Belle looked over the woman, 'distraught, she notices as she lets her thoughts continue, 'mother, worker, wife, neat freak,' That explains the house' Belle notes, 'Silver necklace, given by a loved one...' With a sniff the huntress dismisses her, noting the unhelpfulness as she joins her Father in looking over the scene.

"Two on the floor, one in his stomach and one was stuck in his throat." She gasps out, nearly in tears, "He swallowed four of them. How is that even possible?" Before Sam has to answer, the creek of the oven alerts the two, "The candy was never in the oven." Mrs. Wallace says, frowning.

Dean closes it quickly, meeting her eyes, "We just have to be thorough Mrs. Wallace."

"Did the police find any razors in the rest of the candy?" Sam cuts in, his eyes rolling at his brother's antics slightly

"No, I mean, I don't think so." She breaks off her voice brittle, "I just - I can't believe it. You hear urban legends about this stuff, but it actually happens?"

Belle inspects a piece of chocolate carefully, "On the contrary, there have been 87 cases of confirmed foreign objects in candy, arraying from poison to pins, since 1959." Mrs. Wallace gives her an incredulous look while her Uncle glares at her. Belle shrugs and turns to her father who had ducked down to inspect a black mark stretching across the floor.

"More than you imagine," Sam reassures, drawing the victim's attention to him. Belle felt her father shift, arising with a hex bag that had been stuffed beside the fridge, presenting it to both her and her Uncle. Catching his eye, Dean tucks the bag into his suit, face stony. "Mrs. Wallace, did Luke have any enemies?" He asks as his niece comes up beside him.

Her face scrunches up, "Enemies?" She repeats louder, eyes wet.

"Anyone who might have carried malice toward him?" Belle asks head tilted carefully, her hands placed into her pockets as she rocked on her heels.

The new widow looked between the two confused, "What do you mean?"

"Co-workers? Neighbors?" Sam pauses, letting silence fall before carrying on, "Maybe a woman."

Clearly picking up on his suggestion, Mrs. Wallace breaks, arms crossed as she glares, "Are you suggesting an affair?" She hisses, dropping her hands to her sides.

"Well, is it possible?" Belle challenges, green eyes teeming with curiosity.

"No! No, Luke would nev-," She stops, her voice cracking as a sob rises in her throat. Sam looks to Dean helplessly before turning his attention back to the grieving woman.

Sam rushes slightly to explain, his cool demeanor hardening, "I'm very sorry. We just have to consider all possibilities." He tries soothing her Belle nodding along, watching the widow carefully as she began to advance, hand held out in front of her, accusingly.