Highschool Part 2 Chapter 31

"There is nothing more beautiful than finding your course as you believe you bob aimlessly in the current. Wouldn't you know that your path was there all along, waiting for you to knock, waiting for you to become. This path does not belong to your parents, your teachers, your leaders, or your lovers. Your path is your character defining itself more and more everyday like a photograph coming into focus."
-Jodie Foster

Lis drummed their fingers expertly beside her, apparently they'd shared most classes together besides one, Belle was in an automotive class where Lis was in a painting course, which was both of their blocks after lunch. So now here they are sitting side by side at Lunch.

Belle was munching on strawberries that Derek had packed her, claiming that he wouldn't allow the teen to consume anything in a school cafeteria, and Lis was throwing carrot sticks casually across the table at some random kid. The teen had tried to lob a few at Belle, but after not being able to land a single one they'd given up.

"What are you a secret assassin?" They'd asked, eyeing the huntress carefully, Belle only snorted in response sending them a cheeky wink that had their cheeks flaring.

Belle hummed watching a group of teens whisper and glance over at the duo, "So," the huntress began, stealing another carrot chunk, ignoring the angry outcry from her friend, "why are people staring at you?"

Lis snorted, "they're not looking at me," they said, freckled nose scrunching, "we haven't had a new kid in a while and you're not... like everyone here."

"What do you mean?" She asked, popping another berry in her mouth, "I'm a joy."

They rolled their eyes, "I'm sure," Lis stated, "but you show up, riding a motorcycle, with your leather jacket and mysterious self and you turn down like, the number one dude in the school and start talking to me."

Belle pouted, "I like you, you're not boring." She stabbed her fork into a chunk of chicken, "white boys, with white teeth, and a white attitude? Boring."

The teen watched Belle carefully as she mulled over her lunch, Lis still had no clue what to make of their new friend. "Yeah but, you know, it's... mysterious." They said, eyeing the school mystery meat dubiously.

The huntress shrugged, glaring at a group of popular kids giggled, eyeing the two. Belle groaned, picking up the remainder of her food and moving away from the table, anger flushing underneath her skin. She was pissed off at the looks, the whispers the laughter, it put her on edge, pushing through the cafeteria doors her breathing labored as she turned a corner. Fuck, she couldn't breath, couldn't think.

Damnit she hated people.

Slipping down the metal lockers she collapsed, whining in anguish as she remembered just how out of place she was. She doesn't belong here, she doesn't deserve the kindness she'd received, the anger and shame bubbled in her stomach. Eyes cloggy with the fog of emotion she stared forward, suddenly a squeak of boots caught her attention. Staring harshly at them Lis plopped unceremoniously beside her, they didn't speak, just sat there. Quietly waiting for Belle, "sorry," the teen whispered, picking at her cuticles and twisting the end to one of the tassels on her bracelet. Anything to keep her mind off of everything.

Yet Lis only shrugged, "I don't really have a filter, my dad always gets super pissed at it," they stopped, and looked at Belle, "I didn't mean to make you anxious, I think it's all just Highschool, everyone staring, talking, gossiping," Lis smiled lopsidedly, trying to make their new companion feel better, "I though you'd be used to it by now."

Belle looked at the granite flecked tiles, uncertainty flushing through the atmosphere, opening her mouth to speak, she froze, closing it. Her hands went up to the sleek purple of her shirt, grasping at the high collar. "Can... can I admit something?" She whispers quietly as Lis nods. "I've never been to a Highschool before... it's my uh, first time." Her smile becomes strained as the teen beside her freezes.