Chapter Five

"Jeff the Killer?" Jason chuckled as we sat in the office. "You don't really believe that's who it is, do you?" I begin to talk back, but he continues on. "He's not real! Trust me! If he were, we would've caught him by now!" He laughs again, shaking his head in a casual gesture, but his facial expression told me he was thinking otherwise.

"Jason please! I'm not lying! He was in my room again last night but he didn't try to kill me and I... I don't know... I'm just scared!" My voice started loud but slowly softened.

Jason sighed, leaning over the table. "That's what I wanted to talk to you about. As your mother has requested, we are going to have a stay in cop at your house to watch over you." Seriously? I felt a lump in my throat. I wasn't sure if I was happy about this or nervous.

"Will it be you? Where will you sleep? Won't it be awkward?" I ask, that weird side of me coming out again. Jason just laughs at me and I could've sworn I saw a slight pink tint to cheeks, but it was gone within seconds.

"Um yes, as I know of, it should be me because I know you better than all the other cops. And we will figure out all the details about those other things after school." He says. He once again walks in front of the desk and stands in front of me. "Is it okay if I escort you home after school?" He asks. I nod and he smiles.

"Good because if this killer seems to be targeting you at all, I can't have you walking the streets or being home alone." He smiles down at me and nods. "Well you better get back to class. Just tell your teacher you were with me."

I nod, standing up. I give him a generous smile (which is rare coming from me) because of all he's done. I honestly wished there was some way I could tell him how much I appreciated him... but I'm not the greatest socially. Which is why all I managed to say before I walked out was, "Thank you.."

|.:: Jason's P.O.V. ::.|

As soon as Daniel leaves the room, I let out a huge breath that I haven't realized I've been holding in. Damn, what is this girl doing to me? Ever since yesterday, the first time I've talked to her, I can't think straight.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a perverted guy who aims for teenage girls, but... I just feel something other than I've ever felt. But I can't say or do anything about it due to my reputation of being a well trusted cop. Wouldn't be very trusted if I admitted I have some feelings for a 16 year old girl.

Yes, I'm only 23, but we are still seven years apart. That's a little much for parents. Well, Daniel doesn't exactly have quality parents though...

I sigh, feeling bad for her. She was going through so many things right now, I'm surprised by how she handles it all. Her step father, teacher, and best friend have died, her mother is a whore who's never home, and now she has a psychopath after her.

A psychopath of whom she claims to be Jeff the Killer.

Everyone says he isn't real but I'm unsure of what to believe. So many people around here have been dying but no one has any motives. Everyone in this town is so nice to each other!

Also, Daniel says she's been alone with him multiple times. In the hallway, the woods, and her room. She's seen his face and described it to us. I know she's not crazy and I know she wouldn't lie but I don't want to believe that someone like that is really out there. If there is and this really is Jeff we're dealing with... well then we are screwed.

At least I know that Daniel will be safe at home with me around now. I might actually get sleep and not worry about her every second. I really hope these feelings go away soon because honestly, I don't know if I'll be able to control myself around her. I'll be with her through some of the day and all night. That's a lot of time for someone to keep in such deep feelings.

I shake my head. No. I don't have feelings for a sixteen year old girl. It's just the stress of everything that's happening and my protective nature that's making me so worried about Daniel. I only feel this way because I'm worried about her. Yeah, that's it.

But as I head for the door, even I doubt my own feelings.

|.:: Danny's P.O.V. ::.|

"What the hell is your problem?" Carson screams at me, slamming his fist onto my locker, shutting it. It scared me, I'll admit it. I knew Carson tried to be nice, but Zoey has told me of times where he had hit her. And now I was afraid he'd do the same to me.

But, as you know by now, I have a pretty bratty attitude towards others. "Well, at the moment, it's you." I snap at him, trying to put in my locker combination. By now, most people have gone home, as school was let out for the day. So for the most part it was just Carson and I in the hallway. Just great.

He grabs my wrists, pushes me against the locker, and pins my hands above my head. Hmm, this position seems familiar. "I do not have time for your shitty attitude right now, Danny." He growls in my face. A involuntary whimper escapes my mouth and, if my arms weren't pinned above my head, I would've covered my mouth. But I couldn't, so I just awkwardly bit my lip.

Carson's look softened slightly at the sound, but his grip remained tight. He released one of his hands, keeping the other there, and used it to tilt my chin up so I looked at him. "I'm not trying to hurt you.. I just want to know why you don't care about your best friend."

It felt like a bullet to the chest. Of course I cared about my best friend! I just... is there a nice way to say that I am envious of her quick and easy death and don't really feel badly for her? No, I don't think there is... Damn.

"I-" I start, not knowing where I was going with this. But I didn't have any time to think because Carson's lips slammed hungrily into mine.

Well that was unexpected.

What the hell is he doing? Just two seconds ago, he was grieving over his deceased girlfriend and now he's kissing her best friend. He sure got over her quickly. Maybe he never cared.

I stood there clueless for what seemed like forever. Carson tried deepening the kiss, pushing his hand through my hair. Finally snapping back to reality, I push my hands to his chest, attempting to push him away.

But I didn't have I try hard because his face was violently thrown to the side. I watched, wide eyed, as I see Jason glare Carson down, going in for a second punch.

Why me?