5

"You always saying that," Nicki observed, she still leaned away from me even though we were technically hugging.

"Cause that's the truth. Anyway we gotta get home. I really didn't get none of that math stuff," I pulled away and grabbed Nicki's hand.

Nicki looked at it with annoyance all over her face but just rolled her eyes and walked beside me, her hand loosely gripping mine. "As long as you help me with my language arts stuff," she groaned.

"Mr. Jai was really trying you!"  I laughed.

Nicki rolled her eyes and replied with venom in her voice, "Man he can get his fish bowl head ass out of here. Why he make me read when I told him I ain't wanna do it? Its my first day too. Good thing I'm suspended because if I have to listen to him tomorrow... What you think your mom gone say?" Nicki looked worried as she asked me this.

"Once she hears the why she'll still be disappointed but she won't be mad I promise. Plus she already loves you. She been loved you since before you came," I reassured her. Her worried look eased into a look of relief.

"Thanks...can I let go now?" Nicki looked down at her hand in mine, I just realized how uncomfortable she's been looking since I grabbed.

I let go quickly, "My bad. I'm just super touchy."

"I figured. Its cool. I'm just not used to this stuff." We got home before I could question her more on it.

My mom was sitting on the porch wearing her black sunglasses and in her phone, open to her voice mail. "Shit," Nicki murmured as we got up the steps.

"Hey ma, me and Nic are going to go study," Nicki bristled at the nickname but hurriedly ushered me into the house so she could follow.

"Onika first you say hi when you come here and I want to talk to you about something. I want you to be completely honest too. "

"But ma we gotta study-"

"From what I just heard Onika don't gotta study for nothing. She suspended hmm? Beyoncé leave us," I sighed and squeezed Nicki's hand before leaving.

The last thing I heard was, "Nicki come sit next to me."

Well I mean you come into my mama's house you get treated like her child, but outside though?

I wonder what's she gonna have her do. Last time I got in trouble by her, not school she made me stay home and make a sign.

When the bus came I had to stand outside and hold a sign that said "My big ears are useless because I don't know how to listen," I still haven't lived that down.

Comment your thoughts:

Vote to show love.

Follow to support.

I really had to do something similar when I was in second grade.