Chapter 39

Chapter Thirty Nine

Mason and I have spent the past week studying almost every day after school and I really think he understands the material now. He was a little difficult to tutor but not because he wasn't capable, just because he wouldn't try. Once he started believing in himself and putting in effort he was able to get the hang of it quick.

He grasped the information just in time because today is our for it. Mason has geometry at a different time than I do though so I won't know how he did on it until lunch.

But it's time for me to take it now. Josephine and Adalyn are situating themselves so Adalyn will be able to cheat off of us without being seen.

The two of them are switching seats and even scooting desks around slightly so we can all be closer to each other. I know how to do this test and it should be easy for me. Josephine is a complete and udder math geek but I love her for it, she'll do great on this test.

It's Adalyn we need to worry about. She's the reason we're getting into cheating position.

Mrs. Francis walks into the room and begins passing out test packets instantly.

Josephine is sitting in front of me with Adalyn on my right so Josephine will be blocking the teacher's view of her but she'll still have a perfect line of sight to each of our tests.

She hands me my test and I write my name on it before starting on the first problem.

It's an easy one that I manage to have finished within thirty seconds. Adalyn quickly writes down my answer as I continue on to the next problem.

After the test, I turn it into a basket on Mrs. Francis' desk and lay my head down for the remainder of class.

The bell rings and we all take that as our opportunity to begin conversation.

"How'd you do?" Josephine asks us and Adalyn looks at me, probably hoping I'm confident since most of her answers came from me.

I nod, "Great, what about you?"

She says good and we go to the cafeteria for lunch.

When we get in there they ditch me and go to the table while I make my way through the line. It's hamburger day, yum.

I grab my food and take a seat in between Mason and Erica. As soon Mason's eyes find me he grins, "I made a ninety six percent!"

"Good job!" I tell him and he gives me a giddy grin.

From the corner of my eye I see a platinum blonde walking by. For a moment I think she might stop to talk to me but she doesn't. She stops, but keeps her back to me as she chats with a friend.

"It's all because of you and the study sessions, you're amazing Emma." he tells me sweetly, still holding an excited grin.

I guess he isn't use to making A's on math tests. I'm glad he was able to do good and all of that extra help wasn't useless.

Beatrice catches my attention again as she turns to look at me. Her lips hold a wicked smirk and she steps onto the cafeteria chair, leading her up to the table.

Her eyes stay locked on mine the entire time as if to give me a silent shout out.

"I would just like to point out the simple fact that the new girl everyone seems to love, isn't who she says she is. Emma Kennedy poses as a sweet, innocent little girl but behind the act I see her true colors. Recently, she went on a road trip with Trace and it's been decided that they've become a thing. But what kind of 'sweet, innocent little girl' dates Trace but has study sessions with his best friend? We all know what happens when a guy and a girl get together to study." She makes inappropriate hand gestures and everyone starts laughing.