Chapter 51

Chapter Fifty One

"Hell yeah, I'll skip with you!" Adalyn says through the phone, "I have a physics test today and I know I'm going to fail it. Now I can just fail it tomorrow instead."

I laugh and tell her thanks before ending the call. She'll be here in to pick me up in about ten minutes.

We should be at school but with everything that's been happening lately I can't bring myself to go. Not when I know that there's still someone out there trying to hurt Trace. I know someone who has met our attacker, someone who possibly knows who it is.

There's a way for me to get information and make myself useful so I'm going to take it. I won't just sit back and wait for the next time they strike because we may not be as lucky. If the person succeeds in getting what they want then Trace will be dead and I can't let that happen.

The world wouldn't be the same without his smile to make the sun burn brighter.

I decided three days ago that I was going to go have a talk with Liam to get more details on our mystery psycho. With the roads being so icy I haven't had the chance, but now I do. And I'm taking it.

If Trace knew I was going he'd never let me go. Even I'm not dumb enough to try and go talk to a strange man living in an asylum alone though. So I called Adalyn.

Other than one of the boys she was the only one that I believed would actually skip school with me. I was right. Granted, she doesn't know why we're skipping. But it's not because I didn't tell her purposely, she just never asked and it never came up.

Sure, it never came up.

Adalyn honks the horn and I grab my jacket before locking the door behind me. Mom is still sleeping until her flight in two hours.

I get in the passenger seat of Adalyns car and relish in the warmness of it. She has the heat on, blowing warm air on my chest to knock away the chill from outside.

"I was surprised when you called saying you needed a ditching buddy. I never knew you could be so bad, Emma." she teases.

I roll my eyes.

Sure, I'm not the most rebellious child but I'm nowhere near the best either. Ditching school isn't normally on my to-do list but if that's what it takes to get answers then so be it.

"Would it surprise you to know I also slept without socks on?" I ask and she looks at me confused, "Even though my mom told me I might get sick."

She gasps dramatically, "Damn Emma, you better get yourself under control before the cops come knocking."

I laugh and she reverses out of the driveway.

"So, where are we going? The mall? We could go to that new restaurant that opened up last week. I hear it's crazy good and since it's during school hours it may not be that crowded which means there probably isn't a waiting list or if there is I doubt it's even long-"

"Adalyn!" I say to cut off her rambling, "I've already got somewhere I need to go."

She nods, "Okay. Where?"

I give her the address that I looked up yesterday and she starts driving to it.

Before we get there and she sees where exactly it is that we're going, it's probably best for me to go ahead and fill her in now.

"We're going to see a guy named Liam." I start.

"Is this a creepy moment where you show up then confront him like 'you ate my first born' and then the dramatic music plays and the curtains close? Cause I'm all about some drama but first born's really aren't my kind of mystery. I mean their just babies so who woul-"